Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As anyone who's read my constant complaining knows, I'm really looking forward to getting some rear sets on the Street. Thankfully, after what seems like a false start from Azzkikr Custom Baggers in Arizona, the mantle's been taken up by Chappell Customs out of California. I'm super excited to see these come to market, hopefully sooner rather than later. Anyone else interested, maybe we can get some kind of forum discount:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been keeping a close watch on these guys ever since I saw the first street they added a cafe seat to. I am really curious to see how much they are going to cost because I would love to add a set to my 750 since I have a more forward lean with the drag bars. The street definitely could be a great contender in the modern vintage segment against the bonneville/thruxton from triumph and the v7 from Moto guzzi. We are half way there with the styling cues from the old XLCR now we just need the aftermarket support to get the rest of the way there, and I'm glad Chappell customs has really embraced what the street can offer when no one else really has. Those guys do a great job!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's history. Not all Harleys need to be baggers or cruisers. In fact, it would be better for the company if they weren't.
A simple answer would of been a lot more helpful than a smart ass response. I didn't ask for a history lesson or your opinion of what Harley should be doing. I asked what the part was that you were talking about. A simple peg relocation or something similar would of been more helpful.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's history. Not all Harleys need to be baggers or cruisers. In fact, it would be better for the company if they weren't.
A simple answer would of been a lot more helpful than a smart ass response. I didn't ask for a history lesson or your opinion of what Harley should be doing. I asked what the part was that you were talking about. A simple peg relocation or something similar would of been more helpful.
Considering you asked if it was a heel rest, he probably thought you were making a joke. They move your controls rearward. It gives you a sportier riding position and is more comfortable for those of us that like to be forward on our bikes. Less cramped feeling.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Considering you asked if it was a heel rest, he probably thought you were making a joke. They move your controls rearward. It gives you a sportier riding position and is more comfortable for those of us that like to be forward on our bikes. Less cramped feeling.
Yeah, sorry, I thought you were making a joke and was responding in kind. As happens too often, tone and such get lost on forum posts. My bad and didn't mean to offend, I'm just stoked that someone is looking back in the HD history to bring back what was one of Willie G's more interesting ideas.

It's a fully rear-set relocation, removing the standard foot controls and replacing them with laser cut aluminum pieces about half a foot back and an inch or two higher. I'm excited as it will increase ground clearance for more lean angle, as well as make weight shifting significantly easier which will help in corners as well. I've been a huge proponent of the 750 power plant since release and I think it's the best part of the bike by far. Performance-wise, it's a bit held back by it's relatively mediocre lean angles, especially when pushing hard around corners. For those looking for a more aggressive style of riding, this kind of set up is exactly what we need.

As far as pricing goes, they probably won't be cheap. TuffSide, which sells the Chappell Custom parts, offers a few other options for rear sets on vintage bikes in the $200+ range, but since the market is flooded with those kits, and this will be the first for the XG series, I'm guessing they'll want to recoup the dev cost quickly. The other parts for the Street, specifically the Brat conversion is around $700, but that's really not that bad for a seat, fender kit, brake and turn signals, and the custom seat leveler. Personally, I did that style.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wouldn't expect too much gain on lean angle. As soon as I touch the peg when heavy banking I also hit the exhaust. Taller shocks or (my real desire) a high pipe set up are a better aggressive riding solution in my opinion. Larger wheels would also be a nice solution.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, I've seen their offerings, but for the price, to me, it's not worth it. I've been doing extensive research to find pre existing wheels that can fit and I believe I've finally figured out how to make some work with minor changes. I also believe I have front end swap figured out so now I just need to gather funds and decide which method I'm going to try.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Whoa, those look super aggressive! I'd love to see someone actually on the bike to get an idea of how the rider triangle looks. Wonder what the price+shipping to the US will be compared with the set from Chappell.
The forward controls were USD410 plus post, as a guide mate.
I'm sure they will pop up on his facebook page and ebay soon for sale
His ebay username is harley-th28 on eBay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yippee! If it's that much that's hella expensive. Might have to borrow my neighbor's plasma cutter and try to make some of my own :p guarantee they won't be as pretty though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts