·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What is wrong with the Michelin tires?? 6500 Miles, I haven't had much of a problem.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have been looking for better Rear tire for street 750. Will 170/80-15 tire fit on stock RIM. There are a couple of options in this size i found on Ebay.

1. Shinko 777 Heavy Duty Whitewall Rear 4-Ply Tire 170/80-15 TL 83H 87-4593 | eBay
  2. Kenda K671 Cruiser Bias-Ply Rear Tire 170/80-15 (046711526C1)
  3. Kenda K671 Sport Cruiser Rear Tire 170/80-15 TL H-Rated 046711526C1 | eBay
Please suggest if any of these will fit on stock rim?

Regards
chirash
I think you would need a wider rim for that wide of a tire. I did a lot of tire research before changing my tires.

This is a chart from HD Wheels, Product (I cut and pasted the pertinent sections) http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

It would suggest that the stock (rim 15 inch by 3.0 inch) would be too narrow for 170 mm wide tires. The chart says the max tire size that can be achieved with the max rim on the bike (18 X 4.25) is 160/60 X 18. I am not sure if that size is based on the height of the resulting set-up or the width of the setup.

I have a Pirelli MT66 Route tire on one of my bikes. (more pic in my garage) Attached photo is of stock Michelin next to the Pirelli on my bike. The Pirelli is a 150/90 X15.

It really raises the bike. By my calculations, the height of the rear axle with the stock set up is 11.35 inches and with the Pirelli that I have the axle height is 12.8 inches. Inches really make a difference in the height of the seat, center of gravity, etc.

I have only an inch between the front of my rear tire and the back of the inside of the rear fork. The side clearance between the belt and the tire is barely more than an inch (so 25.4 mm). I guess you could have a tire as wide as 190 mm, but the height of the tire might limit things. You could probably go as wide as a 180/70 X 15 tire inside there but would need a 4 inch wide rim.

I see there is a Shinko 777 in a 150/90 X 15 which would probably work well, but I don't see a matching 17 inch tire for the front. (I have heard it suggested that front and read tire should be the same model tires for rideability (safety) and so have matching Pirellis on mine)

Hope you get some tires that work well for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Apart from the Michelin H-D branded tyres, the only ones available in the UK last month, when I needed a new pair, were
Michelin Commanders.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I'm getting ready for my third set of tires (I put a lot of miles on.. as often as possible) and, I too, am looking to get away from the Michelin if I can help it. I like the idea of the 150/90x15 but I may opt for the 140/90x15 as well. Now with that said, I'm looking over the chart that has been posted more of as a guide and wanted another opinion since CO WanderZest upsized their rear tire. Specifically, the front. The front tire doesn't have much room up there for adjustment, however I figure if the rear is upsizing maybe the front should a little bit, and I've settled on the following if at all possible: 110/80x17 as well as 110/70x17 . Probably the second as main choice.

Any input? First set were the original scorchers, second were the commanders. The scorchers did better in the rain by far for myself, however commanders were better in the dry weather. I just would prefer to find a tire with a better balance and being able to branch out in sizes a little could help find what is best for myself.

Thanks for any and all input.

Reactions: Gage

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see from the picture, that you had to remove the front fender. Did you have to make any other mods, or simply remove wheel, pop off tire and replace with new larger tire?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I see from the picture, that you had to remove the front fender. Did you have to make any other mods, or simply remove wheel, pop off tire and replace with new larger tire?

I did have to remove the front fender. There is a company that makes a fender extension bracket for the XG but it is $120, which is crazy in my opinion. So, I'm just leaving the front fender off for the time being. I didn't have to have any other mods to anything besides taking the fender off. Yes, you are right simply remove the wheel, pop the tire off, and replace it with the larger tire.

Happy riding man.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How much more ground clearance do you have with those on and how does it handle? Looks pretty cool!

I don't have a specific measurement of how much more ground clearance you have, but it is noticeable. These tires handle better than the stock tires in my opinion. Turns are easier, smoother ride, and they look bad ass compared to the smaller stock tires. They are pretty cheap too. I ordered them from J&P Cycles and got the front tire for about $85 and the back tire for about $110 if I remember correctly. I'm debating on outlining the letters on the tires with a white paint marker to make them stand out more but I don't know if I quite have the patience for it lol. I definitely recommend these tires if you are looking for a more customized/beefier look. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gage

Hey everyone I'm new here. I just wanted to say. Gage I love the bike, it looks great. Granted I know this post is over a year old. But I'm in need of tires myself and was thinking of going the same route with tire size as you have. Now I realize you had to remove the fender, but that tire looks real close to the fender mounts on the fork. Is there enough tolerance to mount fender riser brackets. Just asking, inspection laws and also don't wanna send rocks through my radiator. Lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Previous post

Just wanted to apologize to gage. Wasn't trying to call you out. First time posting, didn't pay attention to the format.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey was the 120 tire up front hitting the actual fender or the fender mounting bolts? just looking in to tires ans if 120 up front is possible it opens up the options a ton ! i like the shinko 777's and the smallest front is the 120

thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
None of those listed are upgrades. I looking for a 16 inch wheel that will fit the Street 750 rear.

Use this when comparing sizes it will tell you what the measure and the difference in what you have. Yes it works for motorcycles tires

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
110/70/17 front
160/60/15 rear
Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR
I like those Perelli tires! I'd like to be riding some gravel and other minimal maintenance roads so have been looking into making a scrambler out of a Sportster. Maybe with those tires, the TC Bros MX bars and the right pipes I could do it with the Street 750 and save some weight!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts