Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Harley Switchback - I have mounted a Rivco Flag holder on luggage rack. With that mount I’ve added a 6’ stainless flag pole with 3’ x 5’ parade flag. My rear wheel bearings crunched prematurely. A few “armchair” mechanics have suggested the side to side wind push causes undue torque on the bearings which would cause bearing problems. Can anyone confirm this is a source of the problem causing the bearings to fail? I used the same exact setup on a 2015 Superl0w Sportster for two years with absolutely no problems which seems to contradict the flag zbeing the root of the problem for the switchback. Any history of this, facts or other info is appreciated.
Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello...
If my conversion (inches to cm) is correct, I cannot imagine that the flag is the cause of your problem.
Do you have a photo too?
I would type on material errors ...
Best regards enRico

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
680 Posts
@bbbjim - What you describe is a common enough configuration that I can't imagine it causing bearing failures. If it did, it would be a much less common configuration.

How much of the time are you actually riding with the flag? Most of the guys I know of with this configuration only mount the flag for events at which they run around for a while at less than highway speeds, like in a parade or as an honor guard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts