Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old Honda 250 to get some practice while i save up for a Street, and I have a newbie question. I often find that while stopped at a red light with no one around, that the bike and myself are too light to trigger a green light and i have to wait for another car before i can go. Once after waiting a couple min i just went for it.
What do you guys to when this happens?

·
Registered
155 Posts
It depends on where you live. In the US, different states have different laws regarding this, but I believe most say something about how long you need to wait. Check with a friendly local LEO for advice. Also, depending on the type of sensor, it might not even be a weight issue. Most sensors are actually looking for a strong magnetic field. If you can see the sensor lines in the road, I've heard that putting your kickstand down one of them will do the trick. YMMV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ride a the Road King in my avatar, and still run into this problem occasionally.

In Idaho you have to wait one complete cycle if the light doesn't change on the next time, you can legally run the light, when it is safe. I know it is different in different areas, so you may have to check with your local DMV.

If there is a car behind me, I'll motion for them to get closer also. That usually does the trick.

If traffic is bad, and you don't want to risk running it, rolling back and forth on the sensor in the road also works once in a while!

Be careful and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I bought an old Honda 250 to get some practice while i save up for a Street, and I have a newbie question. I often find that while stopped at a red light with no one around, that the bike and myself are too light to trigger a green light and i have to wait for another car before i can go. Once after waiting a couple min i just went for it.
What do you guys to when this happens?
There are several ways to deal with this problem and below I'll provide a list but I don't recommend them all. Tyically I'll use #5 on the list which is to make a right turn and then a U-turn because it's basically quick and legal.

There are also a couple of relatively inexpensive products out there that will trigger the light. Basically they create a magnetic field that the light sensor picks up. I've provided links for two below. I've known some riders that just stuck a permanent magnet to the frame of their motorcycle and they say that works. The larger the motorcycle the less problem you have with the lights.

BTW The Honda 250 is a great learning bike for you while you save up for the Street.

How To Trip a Traffic Light With a Motorcycle

https://ironedgemotorcycle.com/shop/parts-accessories/green-light-trigger/

Red Light Changer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. Looked online and checked with a cop friend, no go in California on red.

The recommended Red Light Changer was a little cheaper on Amazon so I ordered that, I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
On the seldom occasion that I have to sit at a light with no traffic behind me to trip the light, I use #5 on the list, and do a legal right-on-red, then proceed to "recalculate" to my destination. BUT, I generally never have a destination, so a right turn is as good as going straight or left, really.
If you decide to run a red light, do it safely and live to ride another day.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I need me an old Honda 250 to get some practice on turning and my stops since I am still not as comfortable as I need to be on my bike.
Seat time, seat time, seat time, seat time.

It really doesn't matter what type of motorcycle you ride because turning and braking are basically the same on all of them. A minor exception is that small and lighter weight motorcycles are more effected by body weight shifts but as long as you ride vertical to the motorcycle they're all the same.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Luckily for me, I had a 150 scooter that I rode, which made the transition to the Harley pretty easy. Also, I run into this problem a lot when riding my motorcycle. Like most have stated, I'll usually just take a right turn and then pull a u-turn.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Seat time, seat time, seat time, seat time.

It really doesn't matter what type of motorcycle you ride because turning and braking are basically the same on all of them. A minor exception is that small and lighter weight motorcycles are more effected by body weight shifts but as long as you ride vertical to the motorcycle they're all the same.
YES SIR!!!!! So I take it that you dont have an old Honda for sale?? lol yea but if I drop a old Honda, I will pick it up and continue, if I drop the Beast, I am going to sit and cry like a girl.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
YES SIR!!!!! So I take it that you dont have an old Honda for sale?? lol yea but if I drop a old Honda, I will pick it up and continue, if I drop the Beast, I am going to sit and cry like a girl.
Bikers Don't Cry!!! There's no crying in "Biker-ing" LOL

Braking is relatively easy on a motorcyle with a little practice. It just takes a little while to learn "coordinated" front and rear braking and you can feel when you're "balanced" with both the front and rear brakes.

Turning is relatively easy with practice. First rule. Slow down entering most turns to prevent entering to the turn too fast. Next rule. Look with your head (not your eyes alone) where you want to go. The motorcycle magically goes wherever your face is pointing. Look far enough ahead as well and I'd recommend looking where you want to be about 5-10 seconds in the future as a minimum. Last rule. If the motorcycle isn't turning as tight as you want it to then PUSH DOWN ON THE INSIDE HANDLE BAR. The motorcycle will turn a lot tighter than you think it will and while it might scare you a little to turn that tight the motorcycle doesn't care if your scared or not. PUSH DOWN ON THE INSIDE HANDLE BAR.

BTW I've dumped one motorcycle in my life. It was a Yamaha 70 and I was screwing around at less than 5 mph when I lost control. I didn't get hurt (except for some minor scratches) and it didn't hurt the motorcycle (except for a few scratches and a bent brake lever) but I did learn to not screw around riding motorcycles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts