Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few people here removing the reflectors from the front forks, which is something I definitely want to do. I was just wondering if I should be aware of any warranties and/or Australian laws it might affect.

·
Registered
766 Posts
personally, I'm leaving mine on.
I think they have a bit of safety value.
at night if going through an intersection, those reflectors will be the first and maybe the only thing any cross traffic would see.
most autos have lighted side reflectors even though bikes normally don't. ....I've seen bikes that don't have any side reflectors at night and for me they are kind of harder for me to see if they are in cross traffic.

I have even thought of maybe trying to add side marker lights to my cowl and lighted rear side reflectors.
here in the states, the side reflectors may be required, but I'm not sure.

anyway, for safety and maybe legal reasons, I'm leaving mine on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
personally, I'm leaving mine on.
I think they have a bit of safety value.
at night if going through an intersection, those reflectors will be the first and maybe the only thing any cross traffic would see.
most autos have lighted side reflectors even though bikes normally don't. ....I've seen bikes that don't have any side reflectors at night and for me they are kind of harder for me to see if they are in cross traffic.

I have even thought of maybe trying to add side marker lights to my cowl and lighted rear side reflectors.
here in the states, the side reflectors may be required, but I'm not sure.

anyway, for safety and maybe legal reasons, I'm leaving mine on.
I totally understand, like you said they do have some safety benefits when riding at night. However I don't plan on riding much at night, like I've mentioned in other threads my bike is just a hobby and I only really ride on the weekends in nice sunny/clear weather. I'm lucky enough that I live within walking distance to where I work! :)

Anyway, to anyone else in Australia wondering what the legal requirements are with respect to reflectors, I found this post on a different forum where one user breaks it down and provides all the relevant links.

https://netrider.net.au/threads/removal-of-side-reflectors-from-forks-legal.135071/

In summary, all cars and bikes must have a rear red reflector, while side and front reflectors (white or yellow) are optional.

Mine will be coming off tonight :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
She ran a red light then took off. No matter what, some people will never look for anyone else. Those reflectors would have not made a difference, I guarantee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts