Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the clutch plates on my 2015 Street xg750. After I put everything back together, but before I filled it back up with oil, I pulled in the clutch and tried to push my bike forward and It was very hard to push. I know my lever was set properly, but the bike just didn't move as freely as it would normally before I changed the plates. Does anyone think after I fill it with oil and run it a block or two, it will set in properly, or could there be a bigger issue? I tightened the pressure plate to the appropriate torque.

· Registered
96 Posts
Installing plates have a direction. Think like this as in 'memory' or it returns like a rubber band when stretched.

For the example is to put your hands together so your fingers are facing each other. Press into the fingers. See how they fight each other? Place one hand over the other. Press now and see how they follow each other?

So the steel's cut side, or the edge of the steel plate, those face you as you install them. Find the frictions if they have a flat side, or if there is an ink mark and no sharp edge, find a pattern of the frictions and face them all towards you as well.

The adjustment is about a 1/4 turn out from a lightly seated position. Take up the cable slack, have the perch to lever gap almost gone or very little gap.

Then set it in gear. lever pulled in, and slam the bike forward, slam the bike rearward, and continue to go back and forth with the bike and it should break free and roll easy in gear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts