Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my wifes 500 out today, first ride of spring. Noticed at high rpm the engine will slow down on its own, then pick up again. it does this consistently in any gear, We have had the lag/leap issues and it is not at all like that. Much less significant. Got me thinking it is a rev limiter. Can anyone confirm there is one designed into this model?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmmm.....I'm not sure.....do you think it could be the fuel? Did you winterize the bike with any fuel additives?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not Sure about the 500, But I have hit the rev limiter on my 750, in 2nd and 3rd, when I was taking off at a light (trying to race an 883).....so there is a limiter on my bike, can't tell you at what RPM's it kicks in at, but I have only hit it a couple of times, and then I up shift immediately after. And to me it feels like the the RPM's just kind of bounce off it, over and over. Kind of like how your described it. And I can imagine its pretty easy to hit that limiter on a 500, especially if you are used to riding a bigger bike. I also note that my 750 runs through the first three gears really fast, if you're getting on it. Although it will cruise at a good RPM in 4th gear @ 35-40mph......in my opinion the bottom three gears are really small, and I shift through them rather fast, and then just cruise in 4th or more......my two cents.

·
Registered
238 Posts
......in my opinion the bottom three gears are really small, and I shift through them rather fast, and then just cruise in 4th or more......my two cents.

My wife was saying the same thing yesterday...taking her out for her first ride. She said she the first 2 or 3 gears, she has to shift up fast....I haven't ridden it much to know....I do know when I lived back east, after getting my bike out after winter, it would spit and sputter while on the RPMs.....I just contributed to old fuel or the additives....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also have the 500. I have never had a problem. I am an experienced rider. Not that I always roll hard on the throttle, but I have from time to time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took my wifes 500 out today, first ride of spring. Noticed at high rpm the engine will slow down on its own, then pick up again. it does this consistently in any gear, We have had the lag/leap issues and it is not at all like that. Much less significant. Got me thinking it is a rev limiter. Can anyone confirm there is one designed into this model?
Did you have the fuel pump recall done?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you have the fuel pump recall done?
I don't think ours was not technically affected by the recall but we did get a new tank assembly after the lag and leap caused her to go over the curb. HD replaced several scratched parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have the 500. I have never had a problem. I am an experienced rider. Not that I always roll hard on the throttle, but I have from time to time.
Being experienced you probably are avoiding the high rpm it took for me to experience this. The vibrations tell you to shift - I ignored them because I wanted to put it through the full range before she attempts to ride again. After being thrown she's lost a lot of confidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts