Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about others but I enjoy listening to music when I ride. I happen to use an I-pod typically and pre-record a lot of music to provide entertainment when I'm travelling on the back roads. It can be almost anything from a driving beat to a mellow refrain but I've found some songs are more appropriate than others when I ride. For those of us that do listen to music while riding I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can share our musical selections.

I'll start out with a "driving" song that is on my list of great riding songs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyone that is irresponsible by riding on a public road and listening to music from an I-pod or any device that plugs in the ear should have their drivers license revoked, never be allowed to ever have an M/C endorsement again, and should receive a minimum of six months in prison for even the first offense. It is criminal behavior and should be treated as such.

Tee hee hee, just had to do it. :D

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Hey it is close to legal in Utah and Texas is already there....>:D>:D>:D>:D

This is a ballbusting crowd here... All is well in the Asylum....

Reactions: StoneFree

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
This is my starter song.. gets me out of town!

Reactions: StoneFree

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I ride I like to use it as my time to disconnect from everything and just ride, no music.

I often do that as well but other times, especially on long road trips, I'll find myself on an endless highway through mostly nothingness and some really good tunes make the ride more enjoyable. I don't limit myself so often I ride with just the wind while sometimes I also enjoy some really great music as well. I do love both riding and music and they are not mutually exclusive enjoyments.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone that is irresponsible by riding on a public road and listening to music from an I-pod or any device that plugs in the ear should have their drivers license revoked, never be allowed to ever have an M/C endorsement again, and should receive a minimum of six months in prison for even the first offense. It is criminal behavior and should be treated as such.

I agree which is why I use headphones under my helmet and not ear plugs when listening to music. Using ear plugs for music is illegal under my state laws.

It is ironic though because I often use regular hearing protection ear plugs when riding to eliminate the wind pounding into my ears that causes my head to involuntarily jerk back and forth. Of course I can't hear much of anything when using hearing protection but it does improve the "ride" by eliminating the involuntary jerking that results from rapid air pressure increases on the ear drums. How strange that using hearing protection ear plugs is legal but using ear plugs for music is illegal. There appears to be no logic behind the laws.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course because I really grew up in the 1960's I'm old school in much of my music like I am in my motorcycles so I'll post two iconic songs that are closely associated with riding. The lyrics of each are so "biker" that they cannot be ignored.

First is the iconic song associated with the 1969 movie Easy Rider.

Next is the song that was the basis for my brother's helmet that is behind my user name and current endeavors.

Reactions: bbally

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes I find music that is inspirational riding music in the strangest places. The following song is from the John Wayne movie El Dorado and while it relates to riding a horse there isn't all that much difference between a horse and an iron horse. The spirit is the same.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I often do that as well but other times, especially on long road trips, I'll find myself on an endless highway through mostly nothingness and some really good tunes make the ride more enjoyable. I don't limit myself so often I ride with just the wind while sometimes I also enjoy some really great music as well. I do love both riding and music and they are not mutually exclusive enjoyments.
I don't go on too many road trips and when I do it's with a bunch of buddies, so I can see how it's needed on those types of highways.... good thing to do both where you see fit and with that being said... time to load my ipod with music from this thread :D

·
Premium Member
485 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
smooth and easy, great for those solitude stretches...

This is where my name came from

In the Age of the exit,
are the moving cartoons
Bringing you right along
Helping you... living on
My special...and took me out alone
He showed me a level,
I'm talking on my own

So don't be taken by what I say,
If its too rigid just go away,
You're never really gone,
Only livin on...

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Some great songs from classic rock to the blues to some hard driving metal. The following song is from Al Di Meola who the most articulate jazz guitar players I know of.

Al Di Meola " Race with Devil on Spanish Highway" (1977)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-v__JkP3sg

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sometimes I find myself traveling through farm country with the smell of new mown hay or sometimes riding down a tree lined old highway that is rarely used. Just puttin' along and living La Dolce Vita. In these cases sometime a song like this is perfect riding music.

Breezin' - George Benson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pitnJlcv4

1 - 20 of 97 Posts