Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Riding the ice patch

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  StoneFree 
#1 ·
Nice 180 miler two up yesterday. I was on the FLSTFB cruising at 9670 ASL came around a corner into a road cut gap in the mountain. Nothing but ice for 150 yards. No problems but I thought I would share my ice riding technique with you all for your information and for your ideas on handling ice.

I was traveling 55 mph. First I bled as much speed as I could before the ice. Was doing about 30 mph when getting to ice.

I use No front break on ice.

I look first for road patches that are not cover in ice. There were none.

Next I look for the ice in the shaded areas to see a line that requires minimal course corrections.

I avoid ice that is wet I want to see a glare off the ice not water. Frozen ice gives the highest surface tension.

My wife knows when I see this kind of road hazard to sit quietly and let me deal with it. This is important as the last thing one needs is a passenger moving around on the back in a low traction situation. I have simple rules for my passenger. Sit straight behind me you don't need to lean I will put your weight where I need it.

I hit the back brake to see what kind of traction I have on the ice. Yesterday I had very good traction. Which speaks to great ice temp and good tires.

Came out the other side no problems. Practice when you can. In Colorado you ride you are going to come across ice, don't let it be a learning experience. Know through your past practice you can handle it. Confidence keeps panic from getting you in an accident. Know your machine in all conditions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Slow and steady is the primary rule to follow along with all of the specifics mentioned above. It doesn't hurt to not ride at almost 10,000 ft except in the afternoons during the hottest months of summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.