Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many out there video your rides? I bought a $39 camera about a year ago to test if it was something I wanted to do. The plan was to upgrade camera for better one, but to me the quality is pretty good. So a year later, I'm using the same camera. The camera is mounted to front left fork, you can see my fender in lower right side. This is a road about 30 minutes from my house. Houston is extremely flat and most roads are very straight. This is my favorite get away for an hour and clear my head ride. Here's a short video. Anyone else have videos to post?

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's another short one from last weekend at San Jacinto monument. The clicking noise is the plastic camera tether that I'm bad about not securing.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dragon Tail, Sept 2019

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulling into Deals Gap, the beginning of The Dragon.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Sorry, nothing to show, but I normally have an inexpensive action camera mounted on the bars. I'll try to add a picture in a bit. It's a Sharper Image branded camera from the Menard's home improvement store. It cost somewhere between $20 and $40 a couple of years ago as an after Christmas clearance item. It's an inexpensive camera without image stabilization. The image is a little shaky, but it's watchable. Using the same camera and mount on the Sportster comes out as a blur due to the vibrations.

I use a RAM mount on the handlebars which probably cost more than the camera. The camera comes with a handlebar mount, but it's probably for bicycles. It came apart on the way home one evening. I held the camera between my knee and the ignition coil long enough to figure out it was dark, cold, and rush hour traffic. Trying to save the camera wasn't worth it. Good thing I bought a couple at the same time.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Normally rides are posted of nice senery with nice roads. Here's a shot of light traffic in Houston, kinda sucks, welcome to the big city. It's what I ride in every day.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's one from last November in Galveston at the Lone Star rally. I was leaving the show area heading home. It's a really cool rally.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carla (wife) and I went for a quick ride this afternoon. Went on some back roads west (away from traffic). Only got poked 👉 once for passing when she didn't think I should have, that's a good ride. 😇. Here's Relive and a few short videos, pretty boring senery, but wind therapy time was good. Anyone else been out riding lately?

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Lesblank do you pay for relive or just use the free version? I have seen one other youtuber use it and I thought it was very very cool

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the free version. You can add photos in time sequence it you want. Main difference, with the paid version you can alter the file, on free version you can't. I normally post videos separately just because it's easier to make multiple shorter videos, I don't like watching long riding videos. What do you think of quality of video for a sub $40 camera hard mounted to my lower triple tree? I'm a rookie at this camera stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The footage looks great, clear too. I am tinkering with mine now, will eventually post a video or two.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The footage looks great, clear too. I am tinkering with mine now, will eventually post a video or two.
I have fun with my camera. When I first started messing with mine I made some placement changes with help from forum members commenting what looked better. I didn't want the typical helmet cam or handlebar mount. Nothing wrong with them, but I wanted something a little different. Can you find the camera?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I totally get it, I am currently messing with helmet placement. I would like to mount it right in front of my mouth as most do but I got an HJC i10 helmet and I have not been able to get it in front. I currently have mine mounted on top of my helmet and really hate the view angle and wind noise up there. Will have to keep playing with it.

And haha yes I can :) it's under the left outside light! It looks like an additional light, definitely doesn't stand out as a camera!

Reactions: Lesblank

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does blend in pretty good.

Details on my homemade video camera on / off switch. I've had this setup for over a year now and haven't had an issue. Took me about 15 minutes to make once I had the idea and assembled the parts I had laying around from past projects. I like doing this kind of stuff. Here's how I did it and a bad video, it's hard to hold camera and attach camera with one hand.

24 inch automotive door release cable

Door release cable clip to retain cable on camera

Other alterations made to items

Clip glued to camera

Poor video taken with phone of finished product

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is genius!! :D:D

Thank you for sharing, once I get at least half-decent footage I will upload mine as well!

Reactions: Lesblank

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know if this counts as half-decent footage or not.
Beautiful sky. Y'all look flat like us on the coast. Which camera you using and where is it mounted? Would love to see some more. I think it's cool watching where people ride.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts