Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Riding Videos

5K views 68 replies 5 participants last post by  Clavinavi 
#1 ·
How many out there video your rides? I bought a $39 camera about a year ago to test if it was something I wanted to do. The plan was to upgrade camera for better one, but to me the quality is pretty good. So a year later, I'm using the same camera. The camera is mounted to front left fork, you can see my fender in lower right side. This is a road about 30 minutes from my house. Houston is extremely flat and most roads are very straight. This is my favorite get away for an hour and clear my head ride. Here's a short video. Anyone else have videos to post?

#5 ·
Sorry, nothing to show, but I normally have an inexpensive action camera mounted on the bars. I'll try to add a picture in a bit. It's a Sharper Image branded camera from the Menard's home improvement store. It cost somewhere between $20 and $40 a couple of years ago as an after Christmas clearance item. It's an inexpensive camera without image stabilization. The image is a little shaky, but it's watchable. Using the same camera and mount on the Sportster comes out as a blur due to the vibrations.

I use a RAM mount on the handlebars which probably cost more than the camera. The camera comes with a handlebar mount, but it's probably for bicycles. It came apart on the way home one evening. I held the camera between my knee and the ignition coil long enough to figure out it was dark, cold, and rush hour traffic. Trying to save the camera wasn't worth it. Good thing I bought a couple at the same time.

Reactions: Lesblank
#9 ·
Carla (wife) and I went for a quick ride this afternoon. Went on some back roads west (away from traffic). Only got poked 👉 once for passing when she didn't think I should have, that's a good ride. 😇. Here's Relive and a few short videos, pretty boring senery, but wind therapy time was good. Anyone else been out riding lately?

#12 ·
I use the free version. You can add photos in time sequence it you want. Main difference, with the paid version you can alter the file, on free version you can't. I normally post videos separately just because it's easier to make multiple shorter videos, I don't like watching long riding videos. What do you think of quality of video for a sub $40 camera hard mounted to my lower triple tree? I'm a rookie at this camera stuff.

#14 ·
I have fun with my camera. When I first started messing with mine I made some placement changes with help from forum members commenting what looked better. I didn't want the typical helmet cam or handlebar mount. Nothing wrong with them, but I wanted something a little different. Can you find the camera?

#15 ·
I totally get it, I am currently messing with helmet placement. I would like to mount it right in front of my mouth as most do but I got an HJC i10 helmet and I have not been able to get it in front. I currently have mine mounted on top of my helmet and really hate the view angle and wind noise up there. Will have to keep playing with it.

And haha yes I can :) it's under the left outside light! It looks like an additional light, definitely doesn't stand out as a camera!

#16 ·
It does blend in pretty good.

Details on my homemade video camera on / off switch. I've had this setup for over a year now and haven't had an issue. Took me about 15 minutes to make once I had the idea and assembled the parts I had laying around from past projects. I like doing this kind of stuff. Here's how I did it and a bad video, it's hard to hold camera and attach camera with one hand.

24 inch automotive door release cable

Door release cable clip to retain cable on camera

Other alterations made to items

Clip glued to camera

Poor video taken with phone of finished product

#21 ·
The camera is a cheap Sharper Image branded one. It was on after Christmas sale at Menards home center a few years ago for under $20, so I picked up a couple and another one last year. It has no image stabilization, thus all the vibration. The newer camera may have some added features, but I haven't tried it, yet.

The handlebar mount that came with the camera was probably intended for use on bicycles. It didn't hold up to use and fell apart on a December ride home. J&P cycles helped me piece together RAM mount with a long enough arm to see around the chrome trim on my tombstone windshield. I'll try and post a photo.

The next series of videos has no sound, so I'll add music. Those cover the first part of a trip down to the farm. The camera battery died after a couple of hours. It's mostly I-35 to I-80, but each section has it's own features. This one was raw video that the camera cuts into 15-minute chunks, but I have some editing software I want to use. I want to cut out some bits, combine some chunks, and maybe add some captions and/or narration.

North central Iowa is pretty flat. From the north end of Ames you can pretty much wave at Minnesota. At the end of the video I'm coming off of a huge plateau and everything to the south is rolling hills. The long trip video will get into that territory.

#22 ·
Here are a couple more. This is basically the reverse of the last trip:

Reactions: azproform
#23 ·
Good videos. Looks like a lot of straight roads, just like down here. Liked the American flags at the cemetery. I think there was a section of the driver's license certification you either missed or forgot:

A stop sign is a traffic sign designed to notify drivers that they must come to a complete stop and make sure the intersection is safely clear of vehicles and pedestrians before continuing past the sign.

Sorry, just picking on you. 😂 :ROFLMAO:

#24 ·
These videos may have been edited for content and to run in the time allotted.

Reactions: Lesblank
#28 ·
A few friends rode to the new Cycle Gear Superstore they opened. This place is huge. Not a long ride, but any ride with friends is great. We spent over an hour there doing some major window shopping. The helmet and motorcycle clothing selection is unreal. Here's a few shots inside the store.

The Relive video:

A few videos I took:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.