Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else ridden in the wet and found tje bike very slippery and felt like it was going to slide out from underneath you?
I found this today when riding in the wet.

·
Registered
766 Posts
it does take a few hundred miles for new tires to break in so to speak.
plus it depends on the type of road surface and also how much rain has hit the road...i.e. has the road film washed off?

some of the roads around here are slick anytime they are wet while others are not, even while wet.

all roads will be at their slickest when it first rains and will stay that way if it doesn't rain more than light shower.

this has been my experience for over 40 + yrs of driving heavy trucks.;) and motorcycles

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have looked at the rain fall in Melbourne and it looks steady. The reason was; I suspected that it was drier there than I thought; not the case. I've been told that dry places like in the South West US, collect lots of oil. etc. on the pavement in dry periods and when it rains the surface becomes emulsified with that and it is [death] to motor cycle riders. . Sorry if I went off-topic but this occurred to me and I thought it prudent to pass on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is terrible news! With the record rainfall predicted here in CA, I was hoping to just dig out the rain gear and keep riding to work. If the bike isn't stable, it won't work for me in Los Angeles traffic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have done alomost 1000 kms on it, so they should be worn in by now, i know harleys are not big for riding in the wet but i had no other choice as i didnt have my car. i was very disappointed about it and its the only thing i dont like about the bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ride each and every day to work on the bike, riding a few times in the rain. I haven't experienced a feeling of it being unsafe, though I also take extra precautions when it is wet. I would also love to hear about everyones rainy day experiences.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have not shared that feeling. I know I had a week of straight rain and flooding at one point. No issues through standing water and such, either. It's trained the last couple days here and today was mostly fine must. No issues, but you do have to take extra precautions and not ride the same as you would if it were dry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode 750 for about 1,000 miles. Almost every day to go to my office. I drove it many times in the heavy rain. Of course it takes a bit longer distance to stop, and I need to be careful to avoid slippy part of the road. However I don't feel that street 750 is weaker for rainy conditions than other bikes that I used in the past 40 years.

·
Registered
766 Posts
years ago, on the m109r I had, I would purposely spin the rear tire in the rain while riding on the streets around san Antonio >:D

shoot that bike would do that on dry streets just under acceleration.
even my ST will do that too on some streets.

but on my HD street, I don't even try.....
like others have mentioned, I hadn't noticed any difference as far as riding in the rain with this bike. just use a bit more caution when riding in the rain, unless you want to play with a lil danger....>:D

·
Registered
309 Posts
I haven't had occasion to ride my STREET in the rain yet but I can say that it handles a 'rotomilled' surface much better than my SOFTAIL did.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I first bought my 750, it was not my intention to ride year round or in the rain. Then about a month ago I had my car stolen from my apartments parking lot. It was found a few miles down the road a couple days later. Well I did not feel like letting whom ever stole it, have a free ride when ever they needed it. So I sold it. And now my only transportation is my 750. So I bought rain gear, and have had to use it four times so far this year. I have not had any issues with riding in the rain, at least not with how the bike handles. I try to use as much caution as I can when its wet like SLOWING DOWN, avoiding standing water, painted crosswalks and arrows, and the reflectors in the middle of the road. I am a very new rider, only been doing it for 6 months or so, and I want to keep it on two wheels.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I got caught in some light rain yesterday. Didn't have a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have anything to compare it to because I have never ridden any other bike. With that said I have had mine in rain and snow and it seems to do fine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Riding in the rain sucks. I have done it on several bikes. I just had the opportunity to ride my STREET in it. Other than the complete un-fun of rain I didn't have an unusual issue with it. Maybe it's a pavement issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that could be it, the roads in AUS go from hot to cold/wet very quickly,
i try not to ride in the rain but sometimes dont have a choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts