Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding the new Rod 1500 miles like every body else I hate the right foot placement . I noticed that my right hip would get sore , me being 6 ft. 1" . I decided to lower the peg 1& 3/4 in . With a couple cheap peg's & a mounting from J&P cycle , The J&P extended peg is sawed off & taped 5/8 Fine thread , the nut is a 5/8 Fine thin jam nut . The strap is sawed out of alum plate . I was going to lower both sides but after putting a tape on it now both sides are right at 12 in with no change to the left side . After adjusting the rear brake lever all the way down at least now you can grab the brake much easier than stock . After a 140 mile ride on Fri. I had no pain in my hip ! Other mods I have made are adding ROX bar risers & install my Laminar speed screen from the old bike .

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is an excellent solution! I can't even sit on an xg750a in the showroom without my legs hurting, and I'm a couple of inches shorter than you with a short inseam. I may, in fact, have to do something similar on my xg750.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad I joined this sight. I am about the same height as you, I have the same problem. Now I have a solution thank you very much.

21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you measure a stock peg height , you will find that the right peg is higher than the left . After my mod they are about the same . As far as lean angle I don,t know which hits first the peg or the exhaust ? I had no one to help me lay it over . On the roads I ride lean angle is not & issue . Mabe if you were on a high speed clover leaf ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I built up a right footpeg like Bob's Street Rod and it worked well. However, my shoe would catch on the edge. (Mostly my handiwork wasn't as good as Bob's.)

I was trolling around ebay and found a vendor selling offset footpegs so I grabbed some. They don't give quite as much offset as Bob's but they work. I carved a big bevel into it so my shoe slips over the edge better. See attached.

I put one on the left side as well. I had to adjust the shifter down a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
JP,
Those JP Cycles ones look pretty good, though they move your pegs OUT quite a ways. That was the critical thing - keeping the pegs as INboard as much as possible. Note that the extenders will be tilted so they will angle OUTward and FORward.

The Amazon extenders might angle down TOO early and too much, hitting the heat shield. But they might fit.

I made a cardboard mockup to try before I bought the parts. Let us know what works. Good luck.

For reference, here are the pegs I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-25mm-Extension-Rear-Foot-Pegs-For-Harley-Davidson-XR1200-Iron-883-Sposter/323710471914?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
(I think that guy sells some 40mm ones as well. I might try them.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
JP,
Those JP Cycles ones look pretty good, though they move your pegs OUT quite a ways. That was the critical thing - keeping the pegs as INboard as much as possible. Note that the extenders will be tilted so they will angle OUTward and FORward.

The Amazon extenders might angle down TOO early and too much, hitting the heat shield. But they might fit.

I made a cardboard mockup to try before I bought the parts. Let us know what works. Good luck.

For reference, here are the pegs I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-25mm-Extension-Rear-Foot-Pegs-For-Harley-Davidson-XR1200-Iron-883-Sposter/323710471914?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
(I think that guy sells some 40mm ones as well. I might try them.)
Thanks @T-BoneSteve, I might also do a mock up and then see what effect the ones from Amazon will have. At least they can be positioned any way possible..

·
Registered
12 Posts
@T-BoneSteve , the same amazon one is also on Revzilla and this note is listed there:

Fitment Notes & Exceptions
Male-mount pegs are used on a wide variety of H-D models, early and late
May not fit:
Models with offset clevis, including all Sportster Seventy-Two (XL1200V), Sportster Forty-Eight (XL1200X), Sportster Customs (XL1200C)
2018-Up Softail models
XG Street model driver location

So, it might not work :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, regarding the fitment of footpegs on the Street Rod (and probably the Street): as long as the footpeg has the "standard male tab" it should fit.

The pegs I bought are listed as fitting "XR1200, Iron, and 883". But they fit the SR.

@T-BoneSteve , the same amazon one is also on Revzilla and this note is listed there:

Fitment Notes & Exceptions
Male-mount pegs are used on a wide variety of H-D models, early and late
May not fit:
Models with offset clevis, including all Sportster Seventy-Two (XL1200V), Sportster Forty-Eight (XL1200X), Sportster Customs (XL1200C)
2018-Up Softail models
XG Street model driver location

So, it might not work :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, regarding the fitment of footpegs on the Street Rod (and probably the Street): as long as the footpeg has the "standard male tab" it should fit.

The pegs I bought are listed as fitting "XR1200, Iron, and 883". But they fit the SR.
Yeah, I wonder if they are talking about not fitting over the exhaust and not the peg adapter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
JP,
I think so. There is a locknut on the brake rod that appears to give some adjustability. Luckily my brake ended up at a good place so no adjustment was needed, unlike the shifter...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anybody used any of the foot peg extenders in this thread on a XG750? The right side seems to me to be an issue with the the foot brake lever. I would love to see pics if anyone was successful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts