Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice about adjusting the handlebars to give me a more comfortable riding position. I've considered getting the HD Reach handlebars which provide a 2" extension and I know that a longer clutch cable is required. I'm not convinced that 2" will be enough extension to make the difference I'd like. Alternatively, the Rox Speed FX Elite Pivot Riser is available in 3.5" and would allow me to have more adjustment in the placement of the handlebars. My question is whether the recommended clutch cable needed for the Reach handlebar will be long enough with a 3.5" riser and whether I will need to replace other cables (brake, starter, etc) as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A longer clutch cable is not required.
I had my short reach bars fitted at my first service by the dealer in 1/2 hr. no problems with any of the cables.
A little rerouting is all that was required.
Result was excellent, sitting next to a friends street, who had 12" apes, the short reach bars looked far better, and he has decided to change to these.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have the reduce reach handlebars and the 1 inch longer clutch cable. After about a year and a half with this set up , I've decided that I'm going to install 12 inch mini apes. I did a mock up of the 12 inch mini ape bars to see how the feel was and I liked it. I can sit straight up without having to hunch over a bit. The next mock up I do will be with the gas tank off and running string to see how long the clutch, throttle and front brake line will need to be with the 12 mini apes. I've already purchased a hand knurling tool and added knurls to the mini ape bar similar to the knurls on the Harley bars. Here is a pic of the my Mini Ape with knurls and the tool in which I used to knurl the bar with.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the reach handlebars and it makes a significant difference...

I like the more upright sitting position it gives.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well I finally got my 12 inch mini apes installed on my XG750 and I like it!. The cables are from Magnum in Pearl Black variety. The clutch is 10 inches longer than stock. The throttle and idle cables are 6 inches longer than stock. Magnum doesn't list a 10 inch clutch cable for the XG models so you will have to have them make a custom one above 6 inches. Here is a vid I took today showing a close up of my "work in progress" and what needs to be done to complete it all.

https://youtu.be/U9qlXNbN0Tc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts