Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in what might be a unique situation because as soon as I can get my hands on my Street 750 I have to rapidly put "miles" on it. I need to break it in by riding at least 1,000 miles and perhaps 2,000 miles before I tear it down to build a chopper out of it. If something is going to "break" it will typically break early as opposed to later and once I tear it apart I'm probably going to void my warranty.

The quickest way to put on mileage is to....

ROAD TRIP

So that's my plan. I have one week set aside starting the day after I take possession to head out on a road trip. I will have to plan on an oil changes at about 1,000 mile (a typical warranty requirement) but other than that I can go anywhere I please.

I'm thinking of taking a ride from the Seattle area (where I live) to Dawson Creek in BC, Canada that is the beginning of the Alaska-Canadian Highway. I've never made that trip before and it promises to be a very enjoyable and scenic ride. No real rush and about a week to make the ride. Obviously I don't plan on a breakdown. LOL It that happens then I guess I'll have to deal with it.

So I'd like to know if others are already planning a road trip and, if so, where do you plan to go?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
what about riding to banff alberta? i think that might even be a tad bit closer.

then riding out to dawson

morraine lake, right by banff.
That view is to die for... Well shouldn't say it like that but you know what I mean.

I have been there but not from a trip on two wheels.

Has anyone ever been to the Grand Canyon?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm in what might be a unique situation because as soon as I can get my hands on my Street 750 I have to rapidly put "miles" on it. I need to break it in by riding at least 1,000 miles and perhaps 2,000 miles before I tear it down to build a chopper out of it. If something is going to "break" it will typically break early as opposed to later and once I tear it apart I'm probably going to void my warranty.

The quickest way to put on mileage is to....

ROAD TRIP

So that's my plan. I have one week set aside starting the day after I take possession to head out on a road trip. I will have to plan on an oil changes at about 1,000 mile (a typical warranty requirement) but other than that I can go anywhere I please.

I'm thinking of taking a ride from the Seattle area (where I live) to Dawson Creek in BC, Canada that is the beginning of the Alaska-Canadian Highway. I've never made that trip before and it promises to be a very enjoyable and scenic ride. No real rush and about a week to make the ride. Obviously I don't plan on a breakdown. LOL It that happens then I guess I'll have to deal with it.

So I'd like to know if others are already planning a road trip and, if so, where do you plan to go?
Just make sure to spend plenty of time in the Valley, some of the most beautiful country in Canada :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've driven through the Rocky Mountains from BC through to Alberta. It is the most gorgeous view and drive ever. There are plenty of places along the way other than Banff that are great to look at too. I highly recommend it! The Frank Slide is a really cool sight to see.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I've driven through the Rocky Mountains from BC through to Alberta. It is the most gorgeous view and drive ever. There are plenty of places along the way other than Banff that are great to look at too. I highly recommend it! The Frank Slide is a really cool sight to see.

Nice scenery for sure but doesn't look like there is a whole lot of road for riding.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about riding to banff alberta? i think that might even be a tad bit closer.

then riding out to dawson

morraine lake, right by banff.
Beautiful!!!

About 775 miles to Dawson Creek and about 560 miles to Banff so you are correct it is a bit closer but making a trip shorter seems to be counter-productive. "More Is Better" don't ya think. LOL

I'd actually like to make both trips because I haven't been on the roads to either place. Glad I got my passport last year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice scenery for sure but doesn't look like there is a whole lot of road for riding.
The road is really close. You can see the slide just driving by, but you can also park and go to the observation deck, which is pictured here. It's just off the highway if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Beautiful!!!

About 775 miles to Dawson Creek and about 560 miles to Banff so you are correct it is a bit closer but making a trip shorter seems to be counter-productive. "More Is Better" don't ya think. LOL

I'd actually like to make both trips because I haven't been on the roads to either place. Glad I got my passport last year.
I'd like to plan something out next year. This would be a great trip with the ncie scenery.

That reminds me, I need to look for my passport its been a while.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Go to Canada

Come the long way back through glacier and down to Yellowstone.

If you see this you have a tough choice. Shut off motor and hope. Keep motor running and hope.

But it will be an adventure.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
those are some killer views, all this Canada talk is about the west, is their not anything near as nice in the east coast or what?
Lived in New Hampshire for a while:

Cabot Trail up along the Maine Coast, from there into Nova Scotia Canada is nice

Kangamangus highway, Mount Washington, Conway... used to live in WhiteField New Hampshire, nice and quiet, used to be anyway.

Can never go wrong riding the Route 9 From Concord to Keene then into Vermont at Brattleboro, Take that all the way to 7 head north to lake George or south to the Berkshires.....pick up 44 and ride to Poughkeepsie then down to stay on 44 ride it to 209 South.... ride the Pocono mountains..... my old stomping grounds growing up.....

I can go on as the entire east coast has great stuff... some of the famous, Blue Ridge Parkway and the 129 commonly called the tail of the dragon. All the way to Key West there is great stuff to see....... But the west is less crowded......

My Dream ride is to ride the four corners of the USA doing the coasts and the north and southern routes skipping the interstates......

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like to plan something out next year. This would be a great trip with the ncie scenery.

That reminds me, I need to look for my passport its been a while.
I was just down at my local Harley dealer hoping that my Street 750 would be on the truck (disappointment again!!!) and met a guy from Dawson Creek riding a very old school panhead bobber. I told him of my plans to ride up there this summer and he recommened the last week of July and first week of August so that sets my plans. I'm really looking forward to the ride and now it's great that I'll know someone when I get there.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I was just down at my local Harley dealer hoping that my Street 750 would be on the truck (disappointment again!!!) and met a guy from Dawson Creek riding a very old school panhead bobber. I told him of my plans to ride up there this summer and he recommened the last week of July and first week of August so that sets my plans. I'm really looking forward to the ride and now it's great that I'll know someone when I get there.
Perks of the two wheels! :)

The heat should be dying down by then ti should be a nice ride.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perks of the two wheels! :)

The heat should be dying down by then ti should be a nice ride.
I think it's more about avoiding the rain that is common here in the NW but it will be a great ride.

I just broke the news that I'll be going on the road trip Dawson Creek to my wife. She doesn't enjoy me being gone for a week or so at a time but she doesn't put up any real resistance. She knows that riding is very important to me and, in turn, it's good for her because I come back in such high spirits and in a great state of mind.

The real question is whether I can actually turn around at Dawson Creek. It is the beginning of the AlCan Hwy and it's going to be hard to resist just heading up the highway to Fairbanks (just over 1,000 miles Northwest from Dawson Creek). I think my wife is smart enough to know that sometimes I just keep on riding because I've done it before. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Packin' my tee-bag for my Dawson BC road trip. I've got a doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning so I can't leave before then. If on Tuesday the weather forecast between here and Dawson Creek is good for a week then I'm planning on hitting the road on Wednesday morning. I've been needing this road trip since last year.

I'm tired of waiting on my Street 750 to arrive and it won't go anywhere if I happen to be on a road trip when it does arrive.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Ride safe buddy!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts