Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pretty good day at work today. I've commuted for years on motorcycles, great stress reliever after a long day. It's a warm and party sunny day and start to head home. There's a short cut I take thru a nice neighborhood. Well today I get to the first stop sign, pull the clutch in and it's loose and free. Pop into neutral real quick and stop. Take a quick look and clutch cable is broke. Call my wife and tell her I'm calling a wrecker and would be home a little late. Well, let's see what I might be able to do. I've ridden many dirt bikes with broken clutch lever or cable before. So I ask myself, can you do that on a 900 plus pound Harley in Houston rush hour traffic? Yea, I know that's a crazy thought. So I take the lever off and see a small piece still attached to cable end. I attached a pair or vice grips I carry.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Rim

That clutch is one hard pull without leverage, but possible. So here's a short video, I cut out most of the freeway as that was the easy part. The stopping and starting was the bummer. Made it home without stalling it a single time. Question is, should I feel good about making it, or stupid for trying?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Les should feel on top as you had a problem and overcame it. Now how many of us carry vice grips????

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's just my opinion, let's start with an A+ for ingenuity. Safety not so much, but your assessment of whether or not it would work in a pinch was also good. Just glad no panic stops or other emergencies happened on your way home., those could have been challenging if the grips broke loose from the cable.

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct on the safety part. I've ridden this route for years and knew where issues might arise. Main one was turning onto freeway access road from side street. Once on freeway I hoped over on HOV Lane as there's not as much traffic. Riding old dirt bikes years ago that were pretty beat up helped me feel comfortable trying this. Wasn't to bad as an emergency but definitely wouldn't want to do it every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts