Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while ago I had asked the developers of the Android app RPMitUp if they were planning on supporting the Street.

Recently I got an update which says there's a new option in the app, "6pin Engine", which reads a ton of data from the new six-pin connector CANbus bikes (which includes the Street). So the $10 RPMitUp app now will show you a tachometer, digital speedometer, gear shift indicator, engine temperature, on-the-fly MPG, current-generated horsepower & Torque, Speed, and more. Mount your phone on your handlebars and now you can have a full instrument panel.

All you need is an ELM327 bluetooth module and the appropriate cable that lets you plug it into your bike, and the RPMitUp app running on your smartphone. Looks like ELM327 adapters are down to around $10. Cables are available here; looks like a 6-pin six-inch cable is all you'd need, and it's $20. So in the worst case, you're up to $40; maybe $55 if you want to buy a $25 ELM327 adapter like they recommend.

I can't use it, I've already got the FuelPak FP3 plugged into my bike's six-pin connector, so I can't give you a review on it, but heck, for $10 (plus cable/ELM327), it seems like it might be useful to some of you out there.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I ordered a cable and the sending unit. I will review it once I get it.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I ended up ordering both a 4 pin and 6 pin cable as the VRSCA uses the 4 pin, the XG 750'and the FLTRXS both use the 6 pin.

Order that Bluetooth module from Amazon.

I post up some pictures when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
The Bluetooth part showed up today. Now just the cables

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
The cables showed up today. Going to take a look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right -- I think I may have been thinking of the HarleyDroid app when I was writing that up, but yes RPMitUp is available for both. And actually that seems to be a thing; if you look at the bluetooth adapter they recommend, they actually specify one for use with an Android and a different hardware piece for use with the iPhone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bah, looks like it is wifi only for iOS instead of bluetooth. This sucks because it means you won't have internet access when you connect it. I have an old iPod touch that might work for it so may just try it with that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I ordered a cable and the sending unit. I will review it once I get it.
I just ordered mine today too. Another project for my Street 750. As soon as the weather gets better, I'll have my 12 inch mini Apes installed. Been waiting for something like this for my Street. :)

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
So they cables and sender arrived.

My Son has my XG 750 ... So I plugged the 4 pin into my VRSCA and it works real well.

I plugged it into the 6 pin on the FLTRXS and it works well.

Then I got a stomach bug ... So I am down for the rest of today

·
Registered
490 Posts
I heard its been going around. Me trying to avoid that. Dealing with Sinus and Allergies. Right now Sudafed is my friend for the next 24 hours. Glad to hear that the 6 pin and 4 pin work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
I have been avidly following you on this activity just wanted to check if you have installed it on street 750. IF done please do share the photograph of the setup
Thanks

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
This weekend. Working out of town at a mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well I hooked my six inch 4 pin connector and the OBDII unit that was recommended by RPMitup. I got the blue tooth connection to my phone. Ran the app, it connected to the OBDII. Went to set up to plug in the type of motorcycle. Turned on key to on. Checked the setup and it said info was not loaded up. So when I cranked up the bike, No reading on the RPM nothing. After checking the help screen. It said that I will need to start the motorcycle first before loading the app if the rpm is stuck on 0000. This I didn't do yet. Will let you know if this solves the issue.

::::Update::::
I did all the things suggested in the help and to no avail it doesn't work on the Street 750. The tach doesn't work when on dashboard mode. I would suggest you hold off on making a purchase until either I or someone else is successful with getting RPMitup to work on a Street 750.

·
Registered
490 Posts
UPDATE

The designer of the RPMitUp is still working on trying to get the bugs fixed. He sent me a different version to try but still having the same issue is that it won't run in real time. Only records when you go to setup. The Android phones he was using were the Samsung SG4 and SG7 and it worked on the bigger bike. I'm using a Samsung SG Express Prime which should work. As it stands I can record a riding event but I can't see the live numbers. If this can be worked out. it will certainly be a much cheaper option than purchasing an FP3, Commander or other device.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have always wondered.. Why do a lot of people want to get the fp3 or now the RPMitUp? Do you guys uninstall your original tach and then just mount your cell phone in its place to use as a tach? I understand they digitally readout the RPM's when the stock tach doesn't, but is that a real necessity for everyone? Or is it that it also does a readout of engine temp, etc?

Just curious about it. I have the fp3, but I don't see the need in using it for a tach when I don't pay attention to the rpm's, I just listen to the sound of the bike that tells me when to change gears. I used the fp3 to remap my bike and just keep it plugged in to run autotune as a ride the bike every so often.

Thank you to those who enlighten me on this.. Maybe I'm just missing something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts