Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think it's to see the revs,like you said it's not necessary but I guess some people like it.

Sent from my VFD 300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't really see how revs are THAT important, but meh. Maybe people go off of rpm's to indicate when to shift. I can see that being the case especially if people leave their exhaust factory stock.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
2015 doesn't have a tachometer of any kind. Literally the only instrumentation we have is an analog speedometer and an odo/tripmeter.

I like using the FP3 for the digital gear indicator and a big tachometer display, as well as many other displays depending on what I'm doing at the time. I like the instantaneous fuel mileage readout, even though it (like so many other numbers) is quite inaccurate in actual numbers, it is highly repeatable. There are a lot of interesting displays you can configure. I have one of the gauges set to a digital speedometer, for example.

There is almost not a time when I don't have the phone strapped to the bike and the display up. I use Google Maps quite frequently, and you can run the FP3 and Google Maps in splitscreen windows on the latest Android build. With the music player running, it's equivalent to having a big ol' Harley-style stereo system, on tap at all times. In terms of instrumentation and features, it turns the appalling dearth of the stock 2015 Street into a reasonable-enough facsimile of the technology-laden BMW or Harley big tourers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE

The designer of the RPMitUp is still working on trying to get the bugs fixed. He sent me a different version to try but still having the same issue is that it won't run in real time. Only records when you go to setup. The Android phones he was using were the Samsung SG4 and SG7 and it worked on the bigger bike. I'm using a Samsung SG Express Prime which should work. As it stands I can record a riding event but I can't see the live numbers. If this can be worked out. it will certainly be a much cheaper option than purchasing an FP3, Commander or other device.
Do you know if this issue extends to iOS devices? I have a '16 750 and am really interested in this app.

P.S. Can anyone send me a pic of where the 6-pin port is on the bike? Trying to decide if I would want the 6 inch or 3 foot adapter cable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you know if this issue extends to iOS devices? I have a '16 750 and am really interested in this app.

P.S. Can anyone send me a pic of where the 6-pin port is on the bike? Trying to decide if I would want the 6 inch or 3 foot adapter cable.

Hey man look on the side where your exhaust is. There will be a black plastic triangle piece right above your exhaust. Pull that plastic triangle off and you will see the port. It has a plug in it that you will pull out to expose the port so you can insert the device you wish to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts

Yes here it is in action on an iPhone and a Street 750:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can't get mine to work using and android phone. What OBDII unit are you using. Mine on reads and then the screen stops displaying real time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
When I looked at it, HarleyDroid didn't support the newer CANBUS bikes like the Street, it only used the older J1850 bus. So, no, it wouldn't work with a Street (unless they have updated it and announced that, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah call me old school but i cant see myself ridin and tryin to work a cell phone at the same time ill be payin too much attention to the ride

·
Registered
75 Posts
y'ever hear them jap bikers talkin $hit about harleys? BUT every one of them manufacturers has got to make a big bike that so much resembles a harley davidson HA imitation is the sincerest form of flattery i guess tell THAT to the next viagro rider that gives you crap or a hondo or a kiwisaki

·
Registered
2015 HD STREET 500
13 Posts
The older Street 500 and 750 don't come with a tach. First time riders find it a lot more helpful using a tach as a reference to get used to when to engage the clutch. Also tells you when you reach redline instead of using the rev limiter.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts