Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 possible issues on a small number of bikes out there
1st is the fuel pump which there is a Service Bulliten out.
The 2nd is the shearing of the Woodruff key on the Alternator Rotor which there is no Info or any Bullitens out yet.
PLEASE keep this constructive and I will keep you guys posted on any Tech tips/ Bullitens etc as they come out.
I need to stress that if the Dealers dont know about this (which I did not untill I joined this Forum a few months ago) let them know, as the more Warranty claims HD gets then this will raise a Red Flag.Collective Information is the Key.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question

Who has or is experiencing any of these symptoms and have you had it resolved???

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've experienced the lag/leap from the very first tank. I'm now up to about 500 miles on the odometer. I take mine in to the dealership tomorrow to look at the fuel pump but it's a totally unrelated look I guess.

When I called and reported the lag/leap I was told that HD is aware and it is "normal". No other issue or possible issue was mentioned to me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've experienced the lag/leap from the very first tank. I'm now up to about 500 miles on the odometer. I take mine in to the dealership tomorrow to look at the fuel pump but it's a totally unrelated look I guess.

When I called and reported the lag/leap I was told that HD is aware and it is "normal". No other issue or possible issue was mentioned to me.
Never heard about this being normal. How bad is it? does she buck and hesitate at mid range ?
Has this happened since Day 1? Do you have a pipe?

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are 2 possible issues on a small number of bikes out there
1st is the fuel pump which there is a Service Bulliten out.
The 2nd is the shearing of the Woodruff key on the Alternator Rotor which there is no Info or any Bullitens out yet.
PLEASE keep this constructive and I will keep you guys posted on any Tech tips/ Bullitens etc as they come out.
I need to stress that if the Dealers dont know about this (which I did not untill I joined this Forum a few months ago) let them know, as the more Warranty claims HD gets then this will raise a Red Flag.Collective Information is the Key.
What service bulletin for the fuel pump are you referring to? And exactly what documentation do you have regarding this key shearing? Was it a one time occurrence, or a problem you had? You have mentioned it on multiple threads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately, I have the lag and leap issue which was first experienced on Monday at just over 100 miles on the tripmeter. It came at the worst time too which was going up a steep hill. The low fuel light never came on beforehand but did come on while this was happening. I would have certainly wrecked the bike if I hadn't been reading these forums. With some clutch control and keeping calm, I was able to get to make it.
One thing to note, I've always had issues at mid to low RPMs especially in first and second gear with the bike since I drove it home the first day. I thought maybe it was normal and just had to do some clutch control each time at slow speeds. I figured I would eventually have the bike tuned as well which I hear helps a great deal with throttle response.
Also when taking the gas cap off, the amount of pressure being released doesn't seem normal. Definitely a lot of pressure built up in the tank.
Well, I'm taking the bike in this weekend to the dealership for repairs. It wasn't safe to drive to a gas station so I had to get a gas can to bring the gas to the bike. Needless to say, I'm only going to ride the bike to the dealership but that will be the last ride until they say it's fixed. I won't ride a bike that has a problem like this, that's for sure. I do hope it gets fixed though, this is definitely the kind of motorcycle that fits my style, comfort, power, etc. so I'll do my best to work with HD until fixed.
As far as mods, the only mods on the bike is currently engine guard, long-stem mirrors, passenger backrest and sissy bar, luggage rack, horn relocated, and windshield. I did have the vance and hines exhaust but had taken it off and back to stock since I like the looks of the longer exhaust better. Once the bike is fixed, I think I may go with two bros exhaust since it appears to improve the sound as well as keeping the same kind of look.
Total miles on bike is almost 300 and if I remember correctly, was manufactured in 09/14.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My bike was manufactured 9/14.
I've never had the issue (hope I didn't just jinx myself).
Ive never run fuel so low as for the light to come on, in fact I usually refill when I get 100 miles or so on the tank, if not before. I noticed the first few tanks I was averaging 30-35 mpg. Now I get over 50.
I have 700 miles on the bike.
I have a SE exhaust, AC and tune, done by then earlier when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It did it since day one. Right before my low fuel light came on. I was lane splitting (legal in CA) at a stop light, when it turned green I went to take off and it hesitated, then bucked so hard I almost lost it. If I would have lost it, the cars would have likely ran me over. Once I got to 3rd, it was better. Mostly in 1st and 2nd. I filled the tank and it was good. Found the same thing at the end of the 2nd tank. Called the dealer and heard it was normal, so now I have to fill every 75 - 80 miles so the fuel doesn't get low enough. Funny thing is each time it did this, I still had 0.9 gallons in the tank so it's not empty.

For me it's the safety concern of it. My wife has way less experience riding and one of the reasons I got the Street is that it fits her also. But I don't want here dealing with that. It's also an annoyance that I can only go 75 miles on a tank of fuel.

The dealer told me they have an unrelated fuel pump issue that they can check for me but this specific issue is a non-issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What service bulletin for the fuel pump are you referring to? And exactly what documentation do you have regarding this key shearing? Was it a one time occurrence, or a problem you had? You have mentioned it on multiple threads.
There is a service Bulliten out and the test is a very simple Fuel pressure test if the owner have driveability issues.If so then it requires a new fuel pump.
There is no Documentation on the woodruff key.I have only seen 1 with this issue.We performed a fuel pressure test which was fine then put the bike on the dyno with our Computer/Scanner and noticed the timing was off.
This is the only one I have seen.I am curious to see how many bikes have this problem.
I am sure HD is trying to find the root and cure of this problem.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Has anyone had this issue on a Street 750 manufactured on 07/14? My 750 was manufactured during that time frame and was curious if others of the same time frame were experiencing the lag and leap issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had this happen on my very first tank at around 85 miles and 2 gallons used once I filled it up.

From a complete stop I will rev up and ease the clutch out and it just whines and then all of a sudden dumps all of it's power and surges forward. This happens in 1st and 2nd gear for me. I can rev it up high and take off in 3rd gear and there is zero issue.

I can understand a fuel pump issue, I can understand a rotor issue, but what I can't understand is that it doesn't effect gears 3-6 for the majority of people. This too me sounds like an ECU firmware issue. Something about how it deals with how much fuel it gives out in those gears or something is the issue in my opinion.

Today is the first day that I have time to take it into the dealer and will be doing so. I would have liked to have put a can-bus monitor on it and dump that data and see what I could see but I just don't have time to tinker with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Look for writing around the radiator and forks. Mine is a 500 manufactured in 08/14. Feels like a fuel starvation issue followed by too much fuel.

I had the same issue on a old Bosch KE-Jetronic system on a 190E. Turned out to be a issue with a worn out mechanical airflow potentiometer. Hesitation followed by surge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The circuit board was worn out just around idle. So you'd gas it, it'd start to roll. Then no power. Then enough airflow would move the plunger and get the wiper arm past the dead spot. Then it would surge.

I assume this is not a mechanical fuel injection system. Just saying, feels the same. And this is definitely dependent on how much fuel is in the tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the lag/leap issues as well. ****, it embarrassed me again today on my way home from work. Not even 70 miles since last fill up. I top it off every time I notice the problem, and it barely takes more than a gallon each time.

I was under the assumption that it was mechanical, and had to do with the fuel in the tank shifting back under acceleration, since my issue gets worse the lower it gets on fuel. The fact that it only affects gears 1 and 2 make me think it's because of the acceleration you get with those two gears vs anything higher.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think mine did this the other day as I was pulling into the gas station. 110 miles on the tank. Luckily I was pulling OFF the road. I go in soon for my 1000 mile check up. The head of the service department had heard nothing of this issue, but he said he'd look into it. I'm the only Street they've sold.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts