Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal I'm trying to make a baby old school bagger. I'm not looking to break the bank but would like a set of throw over leathers saddle bags that will fit the street and not hit the shock or a set that has a harder inside panel that I can screw in with the mounting gear that comes with the rear rack. I'm not spending 390+ dollars to get a set of very ugly bags to get a wire hangers worth of metal for no reason. And with the rear rack on the bike it keeps the bags off the paint no questions asked. So what do you use? What works on the bike for you? What or how do you suggest to mod for other bags? Thank you all for your time and if anyone else has bag questions feel free to ask hopefully we can all make our bikes better together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would also love the know if anyone has found a swing arm bag that works as well? Thank you again.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey Navyvet, have you looked at the active topics under the thread "mods done to street 500"? lots of posts there.
VP-56 and VT-10.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No saddle bags here, I just didn't think I would ever carry that much gear. I do have a bag bungeed to the luggage rack as you can see, and can also strap another bag on top of that one if needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
No saddle bags here, I just didn't think I would ever carry that much gear. I do have a bag bungeed to the luggage rack as you can see, and can also strap another bag on top of that one if needed.
I'm one of the "Travel light and carry a big credit card" riders and have typically used about a one cubic-foot backpack for my touring needs. It always held enough for a week or so on the road that is my typical road trip.....

But I'm planning a road trip to Arizona in late May that's now going to be over 4,000 miles and running into perhaps 3-weeks. I've upgraded for this trip. I ride my Sportster for road trips and I've recently purchased a much larger leather "sissy-bar" bag that has about 3-times the storage capacity of my little leather backpack.

I'm going to prepack it soon and I'm planning on creating a thread to address what to take on a long road trip. I'm still packing "light" but with a lot more than I take on a week-long road trip.

BTW My much larger leather sissy bar bag only cost $50 and I agree with the idea of not wasting money just to provide storage on your motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Ok here is the deal I'm trying to make a baby old school bagger. I'm not looking to break the bank but would like a set of throw over leathers saddle bags that will fit the street and not hit the shock or a set that has a harder inside panel that I can screw in with the mounting gear that comes with the rear rack. I'm not spending 390+ dollars to get a set of very ugly bags to get a wire hangers worth of metal for no reason. And with the rear rack on the bike it keeps the bags off the paint no questions asked. So what do you use? What works on the bike for you? What or how do you suggest to mod for other bags? Thank you all for your time and if anyone else has bag questions feel free to ask hopefully we can all make our bikes better together.
I have a pair of leather saddle bags that were given to me for my Sportster that I'd give to you if you'll pay shipping. They can use a little mink oil or other leather treatment because they've dried out due to non-use but could easily be revitalized. With a little effort I'm sure they could be adapted for the Street although they're not designed for it. I would guess that shipping would be less than $20 but don't know for sure. Let me know by PM if you're interested. I'd like to get rid of them because I never used them and they're just lying around doing nothing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just one more to show the easy mount bracket.
The leather bags are Viking. They have the cut away for the shock which are not needed if you go with the easy mounting bracket like I did but I wanted them anyway in case I ever decide to go with the lay over set up which brings the bags much closer to the sides of the bike. Most of my riding is done with out any bags or just the small CorTech bag from the previous post. However I do several long trips each year and want to be set for the 2 to 3 days. (My brother said I have way more than I need.)

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
That seat looks nice! Anyone have a set of throw over bags they like? I'm looking for something cheap that will allow me to stop bribing the roommate to pick me up groceries that is easily removed when not needed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just one more to show the easy mount bracket.
The leather bags are Viking. They have the cut away for the shock which are not needed if you go with the easy mounting bracket like I did but I wanted them anyway in case I ever decide to go with the lay over set up which brings the bags much closer to the sides of the bike. Most of my riding is done with out any bags or just the small CorTech bag from the previous post. However I do several long trips each year and want to be set for the 2 to 3 days. (My brother said I have way more than I need.)
Hi mate,

Would you have part numbers for them, please?
They are exactly what i have been looking for(both options)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi mate,

Would you have part numbers for them, please?
They are exactly what i have been looking for(both options)
The saddlebags are the large Warrior with shock cut out. It comes with the through over piece to attach the bags. If you mount them with the through over unit you will need to relocate the tail lights. They have a bracket for this. Mounting them with the eazy on off kit this is not needed. I think they have small warriors for less. I wanted all the room I could get. If you call them or do a search on their site (they will offer to chat) and tell you which bags will fit.

Large Leather Motorcycle Trunks

The bag on the back is the large warrior bag. The one on the web site just calls it the Warrior Bag and it has a key lock. ( I do not have a key lock on mine.)

As you can see from the site they are relativity inexpensive. They seem to be made sturdy and well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had considered saddle bags as well but I've been happy with the sissy bar backpack. It has lots of room for groceries and other items and converts to a backpack for easy carrying. I didn't buy the Harley brand due to being quite expensive so this is one I purchased off eBay for about a third of the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts

A little off topic but what kind of seat is that? I really like it

1 - 20 of 101 Posts