Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got some saddlebags on Aumora. I have a luggage rack, but wanted the advantages of the saddlebags, and now they get to hold my bungee cords for when I need to hold my backpack to the rack. I really don't enjoy riding with backpack on my back and much prefer it attached to my rack.
http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6961&thumb=1

I am trying to avoid making substantial changes to the body of the bike. Another factor in my choices was to try to keep this as cheap as possible, since nothing seemed to be specific to the Street. I didn't want to have to change the bags or supports a lot. When attaching saddlebags the limits seem to be the taillights which are 13 inches from the shock absorbers and then the limit of the muffler. The saddlebags are Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Saddlebags which cost me $80. The Saree guards were $30 each.

Saree (Sari) guards are on motorcycles in India, by (much-maligned) regulations. At least the blogs I accessed maligned the Saree guards. I guess the theory the government is working from says that a female passenger on a motorcycle is likely to be wearing a Saree, the traditional Indian dress and also sitting sidesaddle so the dress would become tangled in the rear wheel. The Saree Guards take the place of the spacer on the side of the fenders.
http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/attachment.php?
attachmentid=6969&thumb=1

I was able to order the Saree Guards from my local dealer here in the US, which surprised me. They are heavy, made of very solid steel with good paint on them. Its nice that they fit precisely on the fender. They extend a little lower than needed and I will likely trim the parts that stick below the bags, when I get a final set of saddlebags on the bike. But frankly didn't want to spend the time with a hacksaw which would be required.
I cut the yoke which is usually between saddlebags because I worry about the effect of dirt and grit underneath the yoke scratching paint on the fender.
I bought slightly longer bolts to use the attachment points for the luggage rack. Then I drilled holes in the hard plastic back of the saddlebags, using the spacer removed to make room for the saree guards, as a template.
attachmentid=6977&thumb=1
To keep from having frayed rough edges where I cut the yoke, I left my cut ends long enough to fold down and hide behind the back of the saddlebags. There are ties on the bottom of the bags to tie to the guard, but frankly with the large washers I used on the bolts, its pretty stiffly attached, so I only tied one corner to the guard.
I like how this has come out, but there are a couple problems. One, is the previously mentioned excessive height of the guards, which will require some cutting down the road. Also the guards are curved, so there is a gap at the back of the setup. The gap is about an inch.
http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6985&thumb=1
The bag partially covers the rear red reflector and hopefully does not affect enough to make it less than legal. There is some space in the groove to add some more reflector if I ever get hassled about it.
attachmentid=6993&thumb=1
I figure its a start on getting to the final saddlebag situation down the road. There certainly isn't a lot of room between turn lights and the shocks, but as I explain to people, this is not a bike I expect to ride cross country. Just need some space for chaps, jackets, bungee cords. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What dealership did you go through to get the Saree Guards? My dealership doesn't know anything about them apparently. thanks!
I found the part number in a parts manual, which I downloaded.
I ordered mine from my neighborhood dealer.

Below is copied from a dealer's page I found online "Surdyke"

https://www.surdyke.com/AdvSearch.asp

60300091A
WELDMENT-SAREE GUARD,RH
Email Product Info
MSRP: $29.56
*Dealership Price including sales tax: $31.92
Our Price: $23.65

WELDMENT-SAREE GUARD,RH

That is the right hand. Left hand is 60300092A
Same price.

If you're ordering parts, also consider the shock preload adjusting wrench
ask for part number "14900048". It should be about $5.00 and is called "tool kit" If you say you are looking for the shock wrench they will try to sell you the "universal" wrench, which we know isn't universal. Just ask them to look up the part number and they can find it.

The "universal" wrench they will sell you, isn't universal. Although frankly, I prefer using a strap wrench on the shock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, I was thinking of getting some Saree Guards (60300091A and 60300092A) for my New 2016 XG-750 and surdyke.com are the cheapest around I have found. Much cheaper than here in the UK where they are stupid money. So here is the prob surdyke.com are the cheapest and best place to get them if you are in the US. But I'm not and they won't ship. >.<

Now if some "kind soul" was to get them for me and send them, I would be very grateful. I do have a PayPal account so sending the "kind soul" payment for them shouldn't be a prob if "kind soul" also has a PayPal account.

But before we jump the gun here, if the said "kind soul" could work-out what the cheapest shipping way would be to the UK. I could work-out if it would be cost affective or not, I do think it is going to be and then some.

Thanks Keith.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW stunned silence, on another bike group I would of had half a dozen answers. When I Needed something for my old Ariel and asked a similar question I was snowed under with answers and some guy in Canada got the item for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found the part number in a parts manual, which I downloaded.
I ordered mine from my neighborhood dealer.

Below is copied from a dealer's page I found online "Surdyke"

https://www.surdyke.com/AdvSearch.asp

60300091A
WELDMENT-SAREE GUARD,RH
Wow. Just what I needed for my saddlebags too. My saree guards are on the way from Surdyke.

Anyone know if Piggy Back Shocks will fit with saree guards on?

Budget Piggy Back Gas Shocks

Am going to raise my XG up for more clearance.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you think the saree guards will be useful.
I was able to order them from my local HD dealer with the part number and save on shipping. Was also kind of a hoot to see the curious look on the parts guy's face as he ordered something he had never heard of before.
The Piggy Back Shocks would fit with the saree guard in place, but I doubt your bags would fit with the Piggy Back Shocks. My bags are pretty much flush with the shock absorbers now.

Also of note, I have since cut the part of the bottom of the saree guard off, as it extended below my bags. Just looked a little cluttered and out of place. I got some plastidip and covered the open ends of the tubing, so I wouldn't have open holes making a home for wasps and whatever.
I still like the sturdiness of the saree guards for supporting my bags.

If you're changing shocks and installing the saree guard, its probably wise to do them at the same time. There is a piece of trim for the top clevis of the shock which goes inside a trim piece which also covers the saree guard. Local dealer, while doing repairs on my bike bent the trim, rather than deal with the puzzle of trim, fender, bag, shock absorbers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're changing shocks and installing the saree guard, its probably wise to do them at the same time. There is a piece of trim for the top clevis of the shock which goes inside a trim piece which also covers the saree guard. Local dealer, while doing repairs on my bike bent the trim, rather than deal with the puzzle of trim, fender, bag, shock absorbers.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, brother. Did not know that. Will def get the shocks and have the dealer install them with the guards.

My dealer here overcharges for HD parts. Took advantage of Surdyke's competitive prices plus they had Free Shipping special for Labor Day. Also got Luggage Rack and Mounting Kit along with Saree Guards from Surdyke.

Just hope my dealer is cool with all this coz they are starting to get hesitant to install aftermarket stuff. My Saddlebags are throw overs with strap under seat. The bags are rubbing hard against shocks and have actually deformed around them.

I wanted dealer to at least give me some suggestions on how to fix or some way to support the bags. But they wont help at all coz I did not buy HD brand bags. Well duh... not only are the XG bags ugly but overpriced too! So this thread was very helpful to me.

Will figure something out :) Considering some Viking Saddlebags. Found video of a way to attach them using Sportster parts. Worst case I will rig something onto Saree guards to keep throw overs off the shocks.

Thanks again for your help. And btw, heard back from Corbin. They can make me a custom gunfighter saddle that will move seat back 1 inch further and also 1 inch extra padding so I can sit higher. Hopefully that will help the cramps and bring some of that angel cupping action you told me about to help my poor posterior lol :D

Peace bro, many thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts