Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I need locktite or anything to install the slip on muffler also should I use a torque wrench???

What about the diffuser discs, if I remove them what other steps should I take? Leave it open or put the end cap back on?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
"
What about the diffuser discs, if I remove them what other steps should I take? Leave it open or put the end cap back on?
"

SuperTrapp sells Tune Kit for Nightstick, HD part #80881-10 . It fits the Street 500/750 screaming eagle exhaust. It comes with approx. 10 discs, screws, open cap and tool for the current security screw. I added all the discs to the current SE exhaust with the current closed cap. It improved the sound very much - now it has the deeper rumble sound. I would not want it any louder, but you can experiment with the open end cap and such.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! But wouldn't adding more discs keep it more quiet? I would like it to be loud so people hear me on the road and also so I can hear the engine RPMs

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought it was the other way around. I have no discs on, sounds great!
If you have the end opened you do not need discs, it is as loud as it gets. If you have the end closed, less discs = less air flow = quieter, more discs = more air flow = louder. If it is for someone too loud with the end opened, you can tune the airflow / sound by changing the number of discs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be removing the discs and keep it open. No need to give HD or anyone else more money. I already have to replace the crap mirrors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Ayede! Any tips for me doing this for the first time? The 2 bolts in the bracket look like they will prevent me from pulling the muffler off by pulling straight back once loosened. It doesn't look like they can be removed unless I push the pipe upwards which I feel would bend the pipe?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thank you Ayede! Any tips for me doing this for the first time? The 2 bolts in the bracket look like they will prevent me from pulling the muffler off by pulling straight back once loosened. It doesn't look like they can be removed unless I push the pipe upwards which I feel would bend the pipe?
Yes, the bolts are removable. The bolt heads have been slid into a slot in the bracket and they will come out after you have disconnected them from your muffler when each is individually slid towards the centre, where a cut exists. Secondly, once removed you will have to put them back for the new can. Pretty obvious I suppose. Thereafter loosen the two jubilee clips holding the muffler connected to the pipe coming from the engine where the muffler has been slid on it. Thirdly, you will have to move the old muffler a little left and right or even up n down as you pull it back. Don't worry, nothing will bend. Catch phrase is, move it side to side a little at first and increase distance only when needed. Lastly, apply a little grease to the inside of the new muffler at the end which will go over the pipe coming from the engine. It will help slide it on with ease. The grease will burn off without a trace, so no worries. yes, another very important point is that, if you get any grease or oil on the exterior of your new muffler, wash it off with normal household detergent BEFORE STARTING the bike otherwise, the stain will become permanent and you can do nothing about it. So get to it and get your new muffler on.
By the way, have you explored any other slip on muffler? I would recommend Firebrand Loose Cannon. It's amazing. The final choice is of course yours. >:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, the bolts are removable. The bolt heads have been slid into a slot in the bracket and they will come out after you have disconnected them from your muffler when each is individually slid towards the centre, where a cut exists. Secondly, once removed you will have to put them back for the new can. Pretty obvious I suppose. Thereafter loosen the two jubilee clips holding the muffler connected to the pipe coming from the engine where the muffler has been slid on it. Thirdly, you will have to move the old muffler a little left and right or even up n down as you pull it back. Don't worry, nothing will bend. Catch phrase is, move it side to side a little at first and increase distance only when needed. Lastly, apply a little grease to the inside of the new muffler at the end which will go over the pipe coming from the engine. It will help slide it on with ease. The grease will burn off without a trace, so no worries. yes, another very important point is that, if you get any grease or oil on the exterior of your new muffler, wash it off with normal household detergent BEFORE STARTING the bike otherwise, the stain will become permanent and you can do nothing about it. So get to it and get your new muffler on.
By the way, have you explored any other slip on muffler? I would recommend Firebrand Loose Cannon. It's amazing. The final choice is of course yours. >:D
Awesome! Thank you so much! I will be putting this on when I wake up (working til 4am): I haven't thought about other exhausts only because I worked the screaming eagle into the price of the bike and figured I couldn't sell it back to the HD shop. Plus I was told other brands would void the warranty. I have seen a video or 2 of the firebrand and it sounds great! This is my first bike aside from a Honda Rebel 250 that I drove for about 75 miles before buying the XG750. I already want to mod the **** out of my bike hahaha. I love the feel and handling of the Street750. The only thing I'm stuck on is trying to find the perfect protective pants. I was looking at some from Klim with D3O armor. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Awesome! Thank you so much! I will be putting this on when I wake up (working til 4am): I haven't thought about other exhausts only because I worked the screaming eagle into the price of the bike and figured I couldn't sell it back to the HD shop. Plus I was told other brands would void the warranty. I have seen a video or 2 of the firebrand and it sounds great! This is my first bike aside from a Honda Rebel 250 that I drove for about 75 miles before buying the XG750. I already want to mod the **** out of my bike hahaha. I love the feel and handling of the Street750. The only thing I'm stuck on is trying to find the perfect protective pants. I was looking at some from Klim with D3O armor. Any suggestions?
Sorry Buddy. You got me there. No knowledge on the subject. My jeans are and have been adequate for me so far and hopefully will be in future too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts