Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I feel like an idiot. I just installed my Chappell Customs muffler and I went for a quick test ride. I live in a condo complex so there are these alleys before you get to the street. I drove out of my garage and then as I was making a left for the driveway I'm guessing the bike slipped on the leaves (very windy the last couple of days and the streets are covered by leaves) and I fell on my right side again along with the bike... again. The first time was my 3rd day of ownership.
The rear brake pedal is bent again but it seems to function. The throttle feels jiggly and loose and I scraped the brand new muffler pretty bad. Also damaged was more scrapes to the heat shield and brake lever and rear brake pedal arm.
Do I quit? are these falls a sign that I shouldn't be riding? I just don't know what to do. I'll probably take the bike to the dealer to get the throttle and brake checked out when I have some cash to pay for it. Until then I'm at a cross roads. I've only been riding for 3 months or so and I've already fallen twice, and in the same manner. It happened so fast I can't even recount exactly the reason aside from the leaves making the ground slippery. I just needed to vent about this. I am in pain and I am just down about it all. I love riding so much but now I fear that I'm not cut out for it. What do I do? I'm a ball of emotion right now over it all. Plus I am in a lot of pain.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Before you get Seriously Hurt, Take a MSF course. Or get with some Experienced Riders who can give you tips. And observe the way you ride. Your Dealership would be a good place to meet New, And More Experienced Riders.

Wet Leaves are one of the Worst things to ride over. I Try to avoid. But if you can't, Slow and Steady. Just like riding in the rain. Take the Turns with as little lean as possible. I've had my Motorcycle License just over 10 years. And have had, On Occasion, the Rear Wheel starting to slide out. When it happens, I keep the bike upright. Once the tire gets past a certain point(On a lean) you're going over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you assume I didn't take the course? I took it and passed at the top of the class. I'm just not understanding what I did to cause the two falls of similar circumstance.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You didn't mention the MSF course. But you have only been riding 3 months. Which tells me its from a Lack of Experience. Which is why I suggested riding with more experienced riders. So they can observe. And offer advice to help keep you out of trouble. I never took a Riding Course. But I do ride with different groups. Including the Bucks County HOG. My Dealerships "Legacy Ride" which involved Over 100 motorcycles. The other day I went with a group leaving my dealership. Heading to the York, PA Assembly Plant. Which was about 120 Miles each way from the dealership.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not sure what may have caused your drop, not that experienced myself as I just bought my first bike back in May. So I can only say a few things I do that seem to give me confidence in starting out.

When I first head out, I generally baby the **** out of the bike till I make it to a big road. I want the tires warm before I give it much throttle at all. So pulling out of my garage and drive way I am barely giving any throttle in turns, and often am sliding my motorcycle boots along the pavement just in case. Once I am on the road and pointed straight I will give it a little gas, but I do slow down more than normal when making the next two turns to get to the main road. I have to pull out into traffic at that point so I wait for a big gap. I pull slowly onto the road, and wait till I am pointed straight. At that point I gun it and drive my normal wreckless self.

Probably not the right way to do it, but I will say I haven't even been close to dumping it with this method (knock on wood).

I have ridden bicycles hard for decades, and basically I do the same thing on a bicycle. I have dumped my bicycle way too many times trying to peddle hard in a turn to start out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't let it get you down bud, leaves are the worst and 10x when wet could of been sand or gravel, or a number of things, be easy practice, look around constantly for hazards like everyone is out to get you but don't be scared. If you are unsure practice in an empty parking lot until you feel confidant I know the love you feel for riding as I ride every day only drive a car if its below 30 degrees and the changing of summer to fall is awesome time to ride. Sometimes ill even ride in 20 degree weather to work and back and I only wear a half helmet so. Very good point ride with some experienced riders!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
my only (so far) drop to the right side was when practicing figure8s (aka "the box") at low speed. basically just rested the 750 on the muffler after pulling in the clutch and losing all my forward thrust. i expected i the bike to cut off automatically, but it did not (my V-Rod did when i flubbed the same maneuver, but to the left, eight years ago, it apparently has a tilt sensor and the Streets don't)

while i have never had any high speed crashes with my Harleys i have had many drops and a crash with my first ever motorcycle (Yamaha DT80) which resulted in bent mirrors/turn lights and some bruises/road rash.

thing i am getting at is that your first bike is going to take some abuse as you gain riding experience. i would say keep riding so long as you can afford to keep yourself healthy, the bike road worthy.and you are willing to keep learning something new every time you saddle up to ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man am I sore today. Gonna take a break from riding for a bit and give it another go. It's also been 95 degrees here so it is far too hot to ride with full gear. This fall was when I was just going for a quick test ride after installing my exhaust. I must not having been paying attention to the basics coupled with the lack of traction on the ground and there I am on my ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6 Posts
I respect the fact that you came on here and shared what happened, giving it another go when your ready is a great plan. Leaves are the worst, give yourself a break and enjoy the bike when your ready! All my best to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar issue with gravel unexpectedly - Turned into a drive way low speed, just touched the front brake a little as I hit the gravel and it was enough to cause the front wheel to lock and slip out from under me........

Best thing is to get back on and go for a ride........your physical bruises will heal, the embarrassment may last a little longer.

If you want some braking tips there is some good reading on the Harley site. Avoid grass, leaves, gravel and white paint on roads.

·
Super Moderator
361 Posts
I'm a new rider and am facing issues similar to bungletronics and Hobdar. The last car length of my driveway is gravel and it opens onto a short gravel road. Then I'm doing a lot of my riding on paved county roads that get sand spread on them for traction in the winter. That sand winds up on the outside of curves and at intersections until we get some spring rains to wash it away. It may help the cars on ice, but it's causing me a lot of tense moments on the bike this spring.

My plan on curves has been to avoid the outer track as that's where the sand accumulates near the shoulder. It would be extremely easy to low-side and go right off the outside of the curve.

On intersections I try to complete my turn while I'm still on bare pavement and try to line up so that I cross the least amount of sand possible. I've been going through it at a slow but steady speed.

Yesterday I came off a highway onto a county road. The intersection was all sand and I was coming in a little hot. I came close to high-siding it when the rear got a bit sideways on the sand. Since there wasn't any oncoming traffic I was able to straighten it out and get to clear pavement in the other lane where I could brake and then resume my turn.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You're all going to love what almost happened to me today. I was on a ride with a group of friends. Leader does a last minute left turn. I had to stop quickly. My rear wheel locked. Backend started sliding to my right. Weird feeling. Like I was on a boat during a storm. Don't ask me How, I managed to keep it upright. And not miss the turn. For some reason, I was not shaken up by it. Weird. I didn't seem to care. The guy behind me on the CanAm said I left a skid mark. But I don't recall hearing a screech.

My 2015 750 has EBC 643V GG pads front and rear.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've had the same thing happen. When the rear locked up, the rear end started to come around to the right a little. Stomping on the rear isn't a great idea I guess.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Rear Section on the Street is very light. All I can say is, That's is the First time that happened to me on Street. Then again, The roads here in NJ have been covered many times with Salt, Sand, Brine. And we haven't had any heavy down pours recently.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I slammed on the rear brake in a Food Lion parking lot oddly enough lol when I was trying to avoid a car that was pulling in front of me and the back tire locked up and started sliding to the right side. Idk how but I pulled it off like I meant to do a bada** drift in the parking lot and kept rolling on. Like 2 minutes after it finally registered in my brain what had happened and I almost shat my pants, but at the time I was like a stunt bike pro in the Food Lion parking lot hahaha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
breath man, there are two types of people on bikes..
people that have fallen, or people that are falling.

when its wet and you're going slow.. try to keep the bike up rights.
try to avoid wet leaves and the white paint on cross walks ( my first drop on a sport bike)

you'll get it, its always best to learn at slow speeds...the falls most just hurt your pride.

·
Registered
231 Posts
breath man, there are two types of people on bikes..
people that have fallen, or people that are falling.

when its wet and you're going slow.. try to keep the bike up rights.
try to avoid wet leaves and the white paint on cross walks ( my first drop on a sport bike)

you'll get it, its always best to learn at slow speeds...the falls most just hurt your pride.
Yeah man, I couldn't have said it better myself. Grass clippings are one of the worst man...

Go to an empty parking lot and some basic maneuvers there.... That's basically the MSF course with a little speed

Get up after you have fallen, that's what matters most... Literally... and continue to ride

Reactions: top

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm going to my "Chapel" on Saturday. To confess to my "Pastor" Salesman. They just got in the Road King Special.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What is wrong with this site?? I click on Edit. And all I get is a blank post.

Never mind. I just found out I need to click Edit twice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts