Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I rode my bike to work today and there was a Honda Shadow in the space I normally park in.... I usually park over to one side, so another bike can fit if they choose, or so a car doesn't knock me.... but it got me thinking....

What is the proper protocol for sharing spaces? This is not paid parking. Its designated for us from work.... share? Share only with consent? I have no clue who this other rider is....but taking a whole other spot seemed a waste to me.....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think that you can share as long as you make sure that you actually leave enough space for the other person to get in or out. If you can do that, I don't see why there would be a problem.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I look at the bike I am parking next too.

Show bike I don't share a space with it. Someone has a lot of money invested I do not wish to be blamed for a scratch.

Parked nose in instead of backed in (except on a grade) I will not park with them.

Looks new and is mostly stock, I don't park next to it. As probably a green rider.

Bike looks like a wreck... I don't park next to it. Not interested in being near a bike where the rider obviously does not give a crapppp about their machine's condition.

Trike or one of the snowmobiles with wheels where the skis and track belong I do not park with it.

Bike looks like a seasoned machine with miles on it and parked off center I slip in with them. Brand does not matter to me, just whether it looks like they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well just like you slide over to one side so another can fit, you look for the signs of accomodation. Bally summed it up pretty well, if the guy has slid it over to the side then he's clearly expecting another to share the spot with him...

Now what bothers me is when I see bikes parked parallel, downtown outside our office. In the space it takes for the one bike parallel you could fit at least 3 bikes in there perpendicular, it just ends up ruing things for the rest of us...

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Did forget to mention parallel parking. First person in sets the tone I am first it is middle of the space angled out toward the street at +15 to +22.5 degrees off of 0 degrees (0 being crossing the street directly to the other side. 90 being the direction of travel on the side you are parking). You see that. I am saying if you have the skill pile in with me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he was on the left of the parking space (backed in) but toward the front so cars could see him there. I backed in next to him with plenty of space to spare. No angry note or anything...so I think I'm good.

I met someone else that drives a goldwing today.... He parks in a different lot...says i can share his space...but he parks uncovered....I think I'll stick with the covered parking and walk a little bit....

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Smart chick! You are doing good.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
he was on the left of the parking space (backed in) but toward the front so cars could see him there. I backed in next to him with plenty of space to spare. No angry note or anything...so I think I'm good.

I met someone else that drives a goldwing today.... He parks in a different lot...says i can share his space...but he parks uncovered....I think I'll stick with the covered parking and walk a little bit....

A rule of thumb is that if they park only using 1/2 of the space they expect to share. The same goes for you. Willing to share? Only use 1/2 of the space.

On the street I always back up to the curb at an angle and never park parallel to it. If it's on a grade I always park in the side going up hill and use the curb as a chock to keep the bike from rolling down hill.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Thats the best thing to do. Plus going for little walk after riding for a bit is a nice change for a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts