Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love my 750 street. And the dealership has been great so far. But my baby is sick :(
Takes about 3 tries to get her to start :(
When trying to cruise at a constaint speed between 20 to 50 mph the bike feels like its struggling to get fuel. It has a bad skip or something. The bast way i can describe is it feels like a flat spot on a tire. (thats not the problem but thats the way it feels)
When ideal it does not have this nice perr to it. sounds like its skipping or something.
Another boardie told me it could be the fuel pump or injectors.
Anyone else have this problem? or know what could be the issue?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I took a ride earlier and my machine acted like someone just cut off the switch and turned it back on quickly. I started thinking of your thread and said "Oh No, not me too". I was almost out of gas.:rolleyes: Tank of gas fixed it right up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what it feels like when trying to ride at 40 to 50 mph. I have filled it up 2 times. both from a different gas station so not sure its the gas.
but thank you for your thoughts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting my ride back tomorrow. Turned out to be a bad spark plug. Was not gapped right. All back to running smooth. Just in time for a beautiful weekend. Going to be 85 and partly cloudy saturday. Me and a friend going to go on an 150 mile ride.
Be safe everyone and have fun

·
Registered
1 Posts
What all did they go through to determine it was finally the plug? I picked up my 750 yesterday and after a 60 mile ride home it cut out and started exhibiting the same symptoms your described. The check engine light came on and went back off. When it was scanned today they said it was a code for throttle position sensor. Hopefully they have an answer for me tomorrow.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice, at least you solved it.

Also interested in knowing how you managed to discover that it is the spark plug.

I wonder how common this issue is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Layla was sick with the exact same symptoms. They re-gaped the spark plugs (out of spec), replaced the fuel pump (out of spec, low), re-flashed the engine controller, and balanced the front tire. She seems well now but I have not put many miles on her since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problems mentioned. Glad to hear it's easily resolved. Sounds like I need some of what PatLav had done. Going in for my 1k checkup this week.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Nice, at least you solved it.

Also interested in knowing how you managed to discover that it is the spark plug.

I wonder how common this issue is.

It is strange that a plug gap problem would exist from the factory because it's set by a tool that only allows for one gap setting. Of course an idiot could use the tool improperly and there's no lack of idiots in the world.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea that was my issue. They changed the spark plug and tuned me up. Been running good. But now its back to running slugish from around 30 to 50 mph. Im going to run it low on gas to see if i have the gas light issue and the Lurking issue. Then take it back up there and have it all fixed. Another friend suggested it was the fuel punp also. So thats the 1st thing i will want them to look at.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is strange that a plug gap problem would exist from the factory because it's set by a tool that only allows for one gap setting. Of course an idiot could use the tool improperly and there's no lack of idiots in the world.
The tech told me it was gaped to the setting for the old family Harleys made in the same factory in KC.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
The tech told me it was gaped to the setting for the old family Harleys made in the same factory in KC.

Ahhhh... the H-D assembly technician didn't read the work instructions (or the work instructions were poorly written) for the engine assembly.

As a person that spent most of my career in manufacturing engineering/planning mostly in aerospace I know this problem all too well. Often I find fault with the work instructions but all too often the assembly technician just doesn't read the instructions and it creates problems like this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I always believed that with the right training and quality control, things will turn out far better, something which HD needs to do more of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts