Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’ve been doing a lot of research as well as watching plenty of YouTube videos of Slip On Exhaust. I really like the Speed Merchant & I am about to pull the trigger on one, just wanted to see if anyone else has one? I appreciate all opinions but in my personal opinion, this is the best sounding one. Also I called my local HD dealer to see if it will void my power train warranty. They say no but it will not cover any back pressure issues etc... My thought process was to slip on the stock exhaust whenever I take it to get serviced.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just get the exhaust of your choice ( have the bassani ). Get the highflow air filter and the tuner. Complete the stage 1. You won't be sorry. Best things I have done to my little 500.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Exhaust note and therefore exhausts are a matter of personal choice - I changed my stock to a TCM one which I found obnoxiously loud and opted instead for a Firebrand GP. I also changed the air filter to a screamin' eagle high input one and fitted an FP3 tuner. The difference on my bike was noticeable after the retune, possibly because the stock set up was lean. Personally, after having issues with my dealer, I could not trust them to work on my bike prefessionally so did not bother with the service to retain my warranty and have done everything myself.
Go for whatever style of exhaust you prefer, as to be honest with you they are 'much of a muchness' but I would not bother swopping back to stock for your service as that seems a pointless exercise.
Remember that you do not need a tune up on your bike if you change the exhaust and / or the air filter - the bike will run fine (it might 'pop' a little) but you will not get the performance benefit if you don't have a re-tune. On that note it is also worth mentioning that if you do opt for a re-tune and don't let HD do it your warranty will likely be void. In this instance swopping back your exhaust or de-tuning the bike will make no difference as by simply plugging your bike into their diagnostic equipment they will be able ot tell that a re-tne has been carried out. Good luck with it. :)

·
Super Moderator
361 Posts
On that note it is also worth mentioning that if you do opt for a re-tune and don't let HD do it your warranty will likely be void.
IIRC, the consent decree with the EPA only applies to third party tuners used on model year 2017 and later bikes. Check with H-D about this, but I believe you can buy the Screamin' Eagle tuner and use it without concerns.

Swapping mufflers in and out is not something you will want to do on a frequent basis. It's a simple process, but kind of a pain in the neck. The longer a pipe has been on the more rust and gunk you need to fight to get the system apart again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts