Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the forum, but I've had my XG500 for about a year now.

Just curious when making a 90 degree turn, like at an intersection, what speed/gear are most of you using. I'll typically turn in either 2nd or 3rd gear, usually going around 10-15MPH entering the turn and accelerate out. My XG500 makes a sputtering noise like it's going to stall sometimes. Since is the only motorcycle I've owned I don't have any point of comparison.

Is the engine sputtering normal? Does this happen with other bikes? Or is this maybe a Harley thing? Or should I be making 90 degree turns in only 2nd gear.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2017 street rod 750 and usually I'm in either 1st or 2nd gear, also around 10-15MPH. That sputtering or chugging is because the RPMs are too low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2017 street rod 750 and usually I'm in either 1st or 2nd gear, also around 10-15MPH. That sputtering or chugging is because the RPMs are too low.
That's that I figured. I think I need to make a habit of going down to 2nd gear (where it's less likely to sputter). Thanks for sharing your experience Sarge2481

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
329 Posts
First or second. Can be bad on motor if you lug it too much. You will get the feel of what is right. You should be in a gear that if needed to avoid collision you can hit the throttle and get out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
558 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The gear you select should be pretty much the same for a given road speed whether you are going straight or turning. If I recall correctly, the owners manual recommends first gear up to 15 mph and second gear from 15-25 mph.

Sometimes when I am in a residential neighborhood and want to reduce revs to keep the bike quiet I grab third gear a bit slower, maybe 20+ mph. On a level or downhill sloping road the bike can be expected to maintain speed but have poor acceleration or even lug if its in third gear below 25 mph.

It's not necessary on every turn, but sometimes you may want to drop a gear on entry into a turn to ensure that you can accelerate through the turn. Accelerating out of a turn causes the suspension to squat which improves handling.

It sounds like you are talking about making turns at intersections of residential city streets. My little town has a speed limit of 25 mph through the bulk of it and I usually drop to 20 mph and second gear when turning onto a side street and then accelerate right back up to 25 and upshift. The last turn is into a narrow, gravel alley with kids around, so I usually am going about 10mph in first gear for that part of the ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts