Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my baby had some issues yesterday.

I went to ride to work and once I hit about 40mph, the bike started sputtering, and jerking me around like a bucking bronco! I backed off the revs and it didn’t cut out, but did it a few times. After the 3rd rodeo, it finally cut out. Started again, but at that point I turned around and went home, managed to make it home.

Changed the plugs, and that didn’t solve the issue.

A few months ago, I took the baffle out of the exhaust, so I was thinking maybe it was running a tad lean, but it has been fine for the past few months. I will eventually get an FP3, but just don’t have the cash right now.

I ran it this morning to see how it idles, and you can hear it dipping intermittently, I also opened the tank cap to see if I could hear the fuel pump working. As I opened the cap, I heard a sudden “Whoosh” of air which pushed my hand up a centimetre or so, which leads me to think it could be a bad vent line, so that’s the thing I’m gonna pull next, and see if it’s blocked. If it isn’t the issue, gonna see about replacing the petrol (gas) in the tank. As it could possible be bad, but it has no trouble starting etc. so I don’t think it’s that.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or could offer some advice to possibly diagnose it? I know the fuel pump may be the issue, but I’m really hoping it’s not, as they’re not cheap, and that will be the final thing I attempt after exhausting all other avenues.

It’s horrible because in the UK (where I am) the weather is absolutely perfect for riding, and knowing the UK, it will be rain and snow next week haha.

Cheers in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
781 Posts
You might want to check these two recent threads:
2015 Street 500 issues
Engine light at 40mph

Those threads and this one are about problems that start occurring around 40mph/65kph, so I'm thinking that all of you are running on one cylinder.

You should hear the fuel pump start working as soon as you turn the key on.

Is the check engine light coming on? If so, there should be a diagnostic code that can be checked out.

What year is your bike? I believe that on 2017 and later bikes there is a way to get the diagnostic codes to display in the odometer/tachometer window. If not you would need a code reader or a mechanic with one. Any of the EFI tuners can also read the diagnostic codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the bike on.

the check engine light comes one when engine power dies momentarily, but goes off again once running.

It’s 2016, so no luck with getting the codes. Both plugs looked used when pulled, so I don’t think I’m on one cylinder. This happened previous to the plug change.

i racked my brain enough, and gave in, it’s at the shop now, so hopefully they can sort it and whack me with the bill 🤮

Cheers anyway!

I’ll update the thread when they tell me what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a similar problem with Street Rod XG750A 2018.
At low rpm around 2300 rpm and low load, the engine didn´t work well and only worked on one cylinder. The dead cylinder kicked in with more throttle. At high rpm the engine was normal. The bike went easily to 185-190 km/h. I was some days finding the problem. Checked for an air leak on the intake, cleaned connectors with spray cleaner, checked the spark plug gap. In the end, I replaced the spark plugs and the problem disappeared. The spark plugs were only one year old used less than 9000 km. Those Harley Davidson 6R10. Plug no. RG6HCC. Part no. 31600012. Are not good. Some HD dealers don´t have them anymore for sale. I ordered NGK Iridium CR9EIX that are going in next time this happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts