Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else have a start button issue on the 750. Not sure if it's a starter relay or the start button itself. I tried starting the bike yesterday and it took a few tries before it made contact with the starter and started the engine. This bike is still new with only 45 miles on it. I know it's still under warranty and I will be calling the dealer to talk to someone about doing a voltage check on it but this should not be happening on a new bike. At first I thought maybe it was the padding on the gloves I was wearing so then I took one off but I still had to push in a little harder than normal on the button for it to start. I'm starting to lose confidence in taking the bike out for fear of getting stuck somewhere. Yeah, if it continues, it's going back to the dealer for a check . Damm, I hope this is not sign of other stuff to follow, this is my first Harley and so far I have doubt's. Could I maybe not have pulled the clutch far in enough ? The green Neutral light was on but I didn't rock it forward to confirm as I was backed against a curb, I verified the kill switch was in the on position and I didn't touch the start button until after all the speedo lights settled and the fuel pump stopped running. Does the clutch have to be pulled in all the way for the the button to activate the starter ? Some bike's don't but the owner's manual on this one says to pull it in, to the handle. Anyway, I try it with and without for a comparison. Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mines never missed a beat, starting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, at first I thought maybe it was the padding on the gloves I was wearing so then I took one off, I still had to push in a little harder than normal on the button for it to start. I'm starting to lose confidence in taking the bike out for fear of getting stuck somewhere. Yeah, if it continues, it's going back to the dealer for a check . Damm, I hope this is not sign of other stuff to follow, this is my first Harley and so far I have doubt's.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks, at first I thought maybe it was the padding on the gloves I was wearing so then I took one off, I still had to push in a little harder than normal on the button for it to start. I'm starting to lose confidence in taking the bike out for fear of getting stuck somewhere. Yeah, if it continues, it's going back to the dealer for a check . Damm, I hope this is not sign of other stuff to follow, this is my first Harley and so far I have doubt's.
I had problems with the horn switch and I broke the blinker switch off button but no problem with starter switch. I had my dealership replace the blinker/horn switch and it was under warranty.

You might have a cold solder connection on the switch. Have the dealership replace the switch entirely. The only problem I have with starting my bike is cold temps. I've had to turn over my 2015 750 a dozen times before it fired up with temps in the high 30's. 12,000 miles and no other minor or major issues.

·
Registered
187 Posts
only times my start button have been unresponsive was:

key was only in ACC mode
not in neutral and/or holding clutch
kill switch engaged

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Only way I know how to Diagnosis it is to:

Use a Test Light. Find the lead from the Switch that triggers the Starter Relay. Push the button and see if it lights up. Check it at the Relay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an issue with my start button where i have to press the button as hard as i can to get it to engage. i need to take it apart and check the contact in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have the security system on the bike? I know I have run into a few issues with the Bike not starting when the Fob hasn’t been seen by the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone else have a start button issue on the 750. Not sure if it's a starter relay or the start button itself. I tried starting the bike yesterday and it took a few tries before it made contact with the starter and started the engine. This bike is still new with only 45 miles on it. I know it's still under warranty and I will be calling the dealer to talk to someone about doing a voltage check on it but this should not be happening on a new bike. At first I thought maybe it was the padding on the gloves I was wearing so then I took one off but I still had to push in a little harder than normal on the button for it to start. I'm starting to lose confidence in taking the bike out for fear of getting stuck somewhere. Yeah, if it continues, it's going back to the dealer for a check . Damm, I hope this is not sign of other stuff to follow, this is my first Harley and so far I have doubt's. Could I maybe not have pulled the clutch far in enough ? The green Neutral light was on but I didn't rock it forward to confirm as I was backed against a curb, I verified the kill switch was in the on position and I didn't touch the start button until after all the speedo lights settled and the fuel pump stopped running. Does the clutch have to be pulled in all the way for the the button to activate the starter ? Some bike's don't but the owner's manual on this one says to pull it in, to the handle. Anyway, I try it with and without for a comparison. Thanks
I am having the same issue with my 2018 XG750A Bike. I have to push several times until it starts... I changed battery in the fob and problem is the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts