Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 1995 Soft tail fat boy. I’m intermittent click from starter. I’m a diesel tech working on the owners bike. Of course someone has been here before me. Signs of rebuilt starters in the shop. I do know I replaced the starter with one in the shop . Battery fully charged and on a charger. New starter relay. What I have come up with is I’m about .5 volts short of firing. 12.7 battery voltage. Going into the switch I have 12.7. Coming out of the switch to ignition circuit breaker I have 12.0. Red wire at starter relay 12.0. Green wire at starter drops to7.9 volts. If I put 12.7 from battery to ignition side of circuit breaker it fires. I’ve checked and cleaned contacts on switch. Checked wiring at switch cause someone has re wired. Check harness and cleaning connections. Grounds. Possiable week starter. Seems like the previous starter was better. WHAT NEXT ???

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
420 Posts
In the past when I'm chasing starter issues, an amp reading is the quickest way to rule out a failing starter. Every starter has a different draw. Most motorcycle starter leads from battery is 4 guage wire which will handle 70 to 80 amps. I use this as a good motorcycle starter maximum amp draw. If starter is drawing over 80 amps, it's normally bad. Even a cheap amp meter will work for this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts