Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's been quite a while since I posted on the Stone Free II Project so I thought I'd bring people up to date a little. One significant change was the decision to replace all of the chrome (and silver) with copper plating. I've been working on our first actual part that will be used which is an MCL-5400 Dakota Digital speedometer by having the parts copper plated prior to assembly. Finally accomplished that and the speedometer arrived this morning.

While it's just one minor part that will be used I believe that the beauty of the copper plating is stunning and to imagine the entire chopper all decked out in copper as opposed to chrome, in my opinion, validates our decision for this change. I can't wait to get back to work on the chopper next week!!!!
The copper plating looks beautiful. Really great, but isn't it relatively more delicate than chrome plating? What about tarnish and Will it have as long a life as chrome?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Chrome is much harder than copper plate but I don't plan on abusing the copper plate. While the chopper will most certainly be used it will never be a daily rider. First and foremost it's a show bike. Yes, copper will tarnish (oxidize) over time but being basically lazy I'm having the copper plating clear-coated with lacquer. I may change my mind in the future and actually want it to oxidize (oxidized copper can also be beautiful) in which case I can chemically strip the lacquer from the parts.
Go for it man. I am sure your bike will turn out to be a real beauty. Waiting to see the final results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.