Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just curious about people's thoughts on straight pipe. So I had cut the baffle out of the stock muffler and enjoyed how much louder it was and gave me more power, but I disliked how long the exhaust is so now I'm currently running the exhaust straight piped with the cat. Just want to hear some thoughts and recommendations. Mainly I want to keep the shortness I don't want the exhaust to be near the rear axle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well as you already have the straight pipe and like the performance it is after all your bike and that should be all that matters.
You state that you like the noise which is good when doing this kind of alteration - a word of caution here however - I have been riding for over 50 years now and my hearing is pretty much non existant, this I have been advised by medical staff is due to me being a complete idiot when I was younger and not protecting my ears when riding noisy bikes! If you want to ride with your bike set up like this just get a set of earplugs - later on in life you will wish that you had!
Good luck and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as you already have the straight pipe and like the performance it is after all your bike and that should be all that matters.
You state that you like the noise which is good when doing this kind of alteration - a word of caution here however - I have been riding for over 50 years now and my hearing is pretty much non existant, this I have been advised by medical staff is due to me being a complete idiot when I was younger and not protecting my ears when riding noisy bikes! If you want to ride with your bike set up like this just get a set of earplugs - later on in life you will wish that you had!
Good luck and enjoy your ride.
Thanks, ya I have wireless Bluetooth earplugs however it's named haha, I noticed that the volume that I placed it at isn't that high when compared to when I had the muffler on but no baffle that's why I'm very curious about solutions because obviously, I don't want to get pulled over. I've seen some to straight pipe slash cuts which look nice but as much as I would love to make my own exhaust I don't have a welder

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I had cut the baffle out of the stock muffler and enjoyed how much louder it was and gave me more power, but I disliked how long the exhaust is so now I'm currently running the exhaust straight piped with the cat. Mainly I want to keep the shortness I don't want the exhaust to be near the rear axle.
I just did the same thing as you but after 1 year of having the long muffler I took it off, took it to work and cut 8 inches off the end before reinstalling the end cap. My muffler and exhaust now end in the middle of my saddle bag and I'm happy with the look. its been raining hard with hail so i haven't had a chance to go for a ride and see if what i did makes any difference or not

1 - 5 of 5 Posts