Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have fabricated backrest and engine guard for street 750/500.

Price
Backrest: 9500
Engine guard; 9500

Both are available.

Contact @ +91- 9650477441 for order

Thanks,
Devender Singh Brar
[email protected]
Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
38 Posts
Devender:
That is quite professional work- best looking back rest and crash bar. What is the gauge of the tubing of the crash bar?
I appreciate workmanship.
If you don't mind a suggestion, I would consider adding an option of a luggage rack. I think your customers would be finding a need to pack small items and if your backrest is not compatible the accessory is limiting. Also, throw-over saddle bag bars to hold leather bags off the wheel area might also increase possibilities and opportunities.
I'm just trying to be helpful, not get into your affairs. You have a lot of tallent and a great product from what I see.
Would you mind telling us what you have in the pictures for footpegs? They look like floor boards from the picture angles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great looking backrest for the HD Street. Better than what I have seen elsewhere. I'm pretty impressed you did all that yourself . What kind of parts did you start out with from the store?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice and reviews. I am also in the process of detachable carrier and whole backrest.

I will also launch custom exhaust soon with good amount of sound and performance with proper baffles which is being used by VnH.

Regarding rear view of backrest : I can't put HD logo due to trade mark issue. It's easily available from online and HD showroom.

Regarding engine guard material and pipe size : it's 14 gauge and seamless pipe.

Regarding rear mini foot board: I bought from HD. 110$.

You can also cost my website www.devdihatti.in to order products. I am also providing some free bie with backrest n engine guard.

Thanks
Devender
www.devdihatti.in

Thanks

Thanks,
Devender Singh Brar
[email protected]
Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Regarding engine guard material and pipe size : it's 14 gauge and seamless pipe.

From an engineering perspective why are you using seamless pipe? To my knowledge all motorcycle manufacturers use ERW tubing exclusively for frames and engine guards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Devender,

Where r u located? I am presuming ur in Delhi? What will the final cost of the backrest and what all products are you offering as free bie along with back rest

Thanks
Sidharth

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Have you seen this comparison on ERW tubing Vs DOM tubing.....:confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buu3Ytubp1s

Thanks for the link but what exactly does the YouTube video have to do with motorcycles?

About the longest straight length of tubing even on an extended frame chopper is about 2 feet where there was little difference in the bend characteristics between the DOM and ERW tubing. DOM tubing is work-hardened by the process of cold drawing it over the mandrel which does effect the bending characteristiics but those characteristics are fundamentally irrelevent the motorcycles because long spans don't exist. We should also note that DOM tubing is also electrical resistance welded (ERW) prior to being cold drawn over the mandrel.

I did notice that the guy builds off road chassis and perhaps he's trying to convince himself that there is an advantage to using DOM tubing or trying to use it as a selling point for using DOM tubing. DOM tubing does have some minor characteristics that are applicable to limited engineering applications but frames aren't one of them. Some people like to think it's better but from material characteristics standpoint it's really a perception not back by fact.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I by no means have the skill set to design chassis or build frames for motorcycles. I just wanted to know what the advantages and disadvantages of using either type of tubing and you have answered it.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I by no means have the skill set to design chassis or build frames for motorcycles. I just wanted to know what the advantages and disadvantages of using either type of tubing and you have answered it.
Of note in many applications the fact that the tubing (or metal) will bend more is advantagous. While DOM can generally be used in lieu of ERM it's more expensive and typically doesn't provide any benefit which is why I question it's use in many applications. Trust me, on my rigid frame development if there was any advantage to DOM over ERW I'd be using it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent work.. best looking after market backrest so far.. bt not sure about quality of material used.. I m from from delhi. Tell me if u r from d same locality?? thankuu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts