Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we always knew Street 750 would be available first, but there was always the assumption perhaps aided by HD themselves that the Street 500 was going to be available at some point in the Indian market. That however seems to of changed, that is if Indian Cars Bikes is to be believed...

ICB Exclusive: Harley Davidson Street 500 unlikely to see India launch
by Rakesh Datton April 8, 2014No Comments

Harley Davidson builds the Street 500 and 750 models in India. Both cruisers have a lot of local content sourced from India, where Harley Davidson runs a mother plant in Bawal, Haryana. We were stumped when Harley launched the Street 750 first in India, when it could have easily launched an even cheaper bike, the Street 500.

We contacted our sources close to Harley Davidson to find out why the American cruiser maker is going slow on the Street 500 for India. Our sources came back with the reply that the Street 500 is not meant for India. It is a bike that will be sold as a beginner bike for markets like the United States and Europe.

Beginner bikes that are sold in the UK come with a power handicap as they are limited by law to produce lesser than 34 Bhp. The Street 500′s engine is said to output 32 Bhp, which is not much as the engine is not just a 500cc V Twin but also is liquid cooled.

Selling a heavy, underpowered bike in India that is probably slower than the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 won’t win Harley Davidson many admirers here. As the Street 750 is priced at Rs. 4 lakhs, the Street 500 will have to be priced about a lakh lower due to the bike’s cubic capacity lower by more than 33 % when compared to the Street 750.
ICB Exclusive: Harley Davidson Street 500 unlikely to see India launch - Indian Cars Bikes

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's a little disappointing but understandable. It sounds all but confirmed that the HD Street 500 won't be going to India. Do you think that Indians are upset about this, or do they even care?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a little disappointing but understandable. It sounds all but confirmed that the HD Street 500 won't be going to India. Do you think that Indians are upset about this, or do they even care?
No I really don't think so going by the last paragraph...

Selling a heavy, underpowered bike in India that is probably slower than the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 won’t win Harley Davidson many admirers here. As the Street 750 is priced at Rs. 4 lakhs, the Street 500 will have to be priced about a lakh lower due to the bike’s cubic capacity lower by more than 33 % when compared to the Street 750

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't think 500 will be slower than GT 535 because if a 750 can make 60bhp then a 500 can definitely make 40bhp. GT 535 might be lighter by 35kg but that cannot compensate for 33% less power.
But street 500 will be roughly 60000 rupees cheaper ($900) and at that price point people may prefer a ninja 300 or GT 535 or add some dough and buy street 750

·
Registered
228 Posts
It seems to me that the plan was always to offer both in India. As long as there is space for it in the segment to be competitive then I can't see why Harley Davidson wouldn't bring it to India. I think that HD is planning on selling both bikes in most markets where it is planning to be active.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think 500 will be slower than GT 535 because if a 750 can make 60bhp then a 500 can definitely make 40bhp. GT 535 might be lighter by 35kg but that cannot compensate for 33% less power.
But street 500 will be roughly 60000 rupees cheaper ($900) and at that price point people may prefer a ninja 300 or GT 535 or add some dough and buy street 750
I wont speak of horsepower, but I do know the Street 500 will kick out 29.5 lb-fts of torque at 3500 RPM and the Enfield makes 32 lb-ft at 4000 RPM. Torque moves loads...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I wont speak of horsepower, but I do know the Street 500 will kick out 29.5 lb-fts of torque at 3500 RPM and the Enfield makes 32 lb-ft at 4000 RPM. Torque moves loads...

No, horsepower moves loads. Torque is an instantaneuos measure of force. Horsepower is a measure of work, force applied over a distance. Physics my friend, learn it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Enfield might make more torque due to additional 35cc but you must also look at the torque curve. Street has a superb flat torque curve all the way to 6500~7000 rpm and hence makes peak power at 7500rpm. Enfield on the other hand has a peak torque at 4000 rpm but then starts falling and the power peaks at 5200 RPM. That is quite a bit of performance difference.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, horsepower moves loads. Torque is an instantaneuos measure of force. Horsepower is a measure of work, force applied over a distance. Physics my friend, learn it.
No need, we've got you around ;)

You do not have horsepower without torque, unless you know, you're actually using horses. The more torque the engine kicks out the more potential it has for horsepower. Then we get into complex conversations about gearing and whos doing what with what potential...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts