Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so having an issue with the bike, need some help in figuring out what the issue is.

Bike sat for about a year due to injury and than the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, apparently someone unplugged the battery tender, and so the battery had died at some point. I recharged the battery and it appears to hold a charge.

Now what happens, when I try to start it, it turns over twice then just stops and won't start. I originally thought starter relay, and since I had a known, working spare, popped the spare in, same exact issue.

Battery appears to be ok.

Other things it does is sometimes, very briefly when starting (it's so fast I had to take a video and slow it down for myself to see), it shows a buserr, and then the gas light sometimes flashes (gas is full so it isn't low on gas). I also checked for codes on the odometer, it doesn't show anything.

Local HD can't look at it for a long time (they said over a month!), and the local indy won't touch the Street.

Any thoughts? Not really sure where to look or how to diagnose this issue.

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
525 Posts
Pull the battery, most auto part houses will load test for free. This is the front first thing I would do. Can’t diagnose any issue if battery is bad.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
805 Posts
I went through some of your old posts to see if there was a history of problems. Is this the 2017 Street 500 that you bought after it had sat for a couple of years? If it is, and that's the original battery I would definitely have it load tested and seriously consider replacing it regardless of the results due to age.

Did it have any signs of mice or other critters building nests or chewing on any wiring?

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the battery, most auto part houses will load test for free. This is the front first thing I would do. Can’t diagnose any issue if battery is bad.
OK, pulled the battery and ran it to autozone, they load tested it and said it was ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went through some of your old posts to see if there was a history of problems. Is this the 2017 Street 500 that you bought after it had sat for a couple of years? If it is, and that's the original battery I would definitely have it load tested and seriously consider replacing it regardless of the results due to age.

Did it have any signs of mice or other critters building nests or chewing on any wiring?
Yes it's the same bike! I actually rode it for a while, and then parked it when I got injured. Then due to the pandemic, stopped riding it for a while. But it was running perfectly when it was parked last, and had been serviced shortly before I parked it (I was riding it daily).

Battery was load tested today, and it came back clean. I'll go ahead and replace it anyway, but don't think that may be the issue.

No evidence of critters or chewing, I traced all the wires the best I can

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi all, so having an issue with the bike, need some help in figuring out what the issue is.

Bike sat for about a year due to injury and than the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, apparently someone unplugged the battery tender, and so the battery had died at some point. I recharged the battery and it appears to hold a charge.

Now what happens, when I try to start it, it turns over twice then just stops and won't start. I originally thought starter relay, and since I had a known, working spare, popped the spare in, same exact issue.

Battery appears to be ok.

Other things it does is sometimes, very briefly when starting (it's so fast I had to take a video and slow it down for myself to see), it shows a buserr, and then the gas light sometimes flashes (gas is full so it isn't low on gas). I also checked for codes on the odometer, it doesn't show anything.

Local HD can't look at it for a long time (they said over a month!), and the local indy won't touch the Street.

Any thoughts? Not really sure where to look or how to diagnose this issue.
I think issue is fueling ( the buzzer is the answer)… check for error codes from the dash( YouTube has vedios)… sometimes jump start resets the body control module… maybe you can try to that…

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
805 Posts
If the key is turned on and the kill/run switch is on do you hear the fuel pump trying to run before you hit the starter button?

Is it fresh gas or the stuff it was parked with a year ago?
Can you disconnect the fuel line and see if gas spurts out when you turn the key on?
Can you pull a fuel sample out of the bottom of the tank with a turkey baster or something similar to see if it contains water or debris?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Drain the old fuel completely it has water in it now from condensation if any of it sat for a year, even if you added new fuel to it. Add fresh 93 octane fuel and also add a half to 3/4 can of seafoam. Dump the rest of the seafoam in the waste fuel and run it through an old lawnmower to get rid of it. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Try to start the bike in neutral with the key on, while holding the clutch lever all the way in, and making sure that the green neutral light is on(so your bike doesnt run into something when it starts), then take a plastic handle screwdriver across the two solenoid screws under the seat, instead of using the push button. When it starts, let it run for a few minutes, then turn it off, and next, making sure your kill switch is set to "run", try starting it with the push button.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts