Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was changing my oil the other day on street 500 was the first time I changed it and the oil plug was on pretty tight I got it off o-ring still attached and I tried to reuse but it won't tighten completely do I need a new o-ring or a new oil pan ?

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
932 Posts
Always replace the o-ring when changing your oil. I don't know about other bikes, but that's pretty much SOP with all Harleys.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lesblank

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always replace the o-ring when changing your oil. I don't know about other bikes, but that's pretty much SOP with all Harleys.
Thanks man was my first oil change on a real bike ever I'm going to try and get a new oil plug and o ring hopefully that works but if it doesn't do you know how much it is for a new oil pan replacement

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
932 Posts
I have no idea what an oil pan would cost. There may be other options, though.

When you say "it won't tighten completely" do you mean that the plug stops turning without sealing, or do you mean that it never stops turning? If it goes finger tight and still leaks you probably just need to replace the O-ring. If it doesn't stop turning you have stripped the threads.

Stripped threads on oil drain plugs are common enough that oversized, self-tapping plugs are available to cut new threads. That's a pretty common solution.

Stepping it up a bit your auto supply store probably has helicoil or solid inserts for thread repairs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lesblank
1 - 4 of 4 Posts