Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my street 500 on its first trip to work this morning on sh130 in Texas. Posted speed limit is 80. Everything was fine in the morning with the wind at my back. But on the way home the wind was working against me and I tried to pass on a gradual incline. Topped out at 70. Eek! I have the Vance and Hines pipes. Will the fuel pak computer and V&H open element intake help me much with this dilemma? Has anybody else run into this?

·
Registered
504 Posts
It is only the 500, not the 750, so with the wind in your face, on an uphill climb, that might be as good as it gets. Still 70 mph isn't too bad given the circumstances

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is only the 500, not the 750, so with the wind in your face, on an uphill climb, that might be as good as it gets. Still 70 mph isn't too bad given the circumstances
I rode in again today. Same kind of deal. Easy going in the morning. I got up to 85 to pass without the bike struggling. On the way home (against the wind) I found the same kind of issue. Yes, believe it or not if it's posted 80 there are still people that want to go 60. I found there is a sweet spot in the throttle at about halfway where it will slowly climb from 70 to 80. With WOT it doesn't seem to want to speed up. I also found it was helpful to wait for a car to pass and get in behind them for a wind break. Downhill even with the wind there is no problem getting up to speed to pass. I do have a windshield arriving tomorrow. The wind (front cowl removed for aesthetics) is brutal at over 75. It's obviously pushing the bike to it's upper threshold of what it can do but I'm getting it to work.

I'm going to try the V&H computer and high flow intake. If anything I want the bluetooth feature so I can see what RPMs I'm running at. I would downshift at 70 but not sure what the RPMs would be like. May be a month or so but I'll update this thread with the results.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well my two cents, you are already pushing that 500 to it's limits, and upgrading the air intake and adding a stage one will for sure help get you moving faster, but that 500 wasn't meant to go highway speeds. It'll do it but that motor be screaming. Maybe if you want to do 80 into the wind uphill you should think about trading it in for a 750, or bigger bike. I got my 750 up to 107mph a couple of times in decent conditions. again just my opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my two cents, you are already pushing that 500 to it's limits, and upgrading the air intake and adding a stage one will for sure help get you moving faster, but that 500 wasn't meant to go highway speeds. It'll do it but that motor be screaming. Maybe if you want to do 80 into the wind uphill you should think about trading it in for a 750, or bigger bike. I got my 750 up to 107mph a couple of times in decent conditions. again just my opinion.
I have my sights set on a R1200RT with heated grips and a windshield that goes up and down. But I want to make this one work for a few more years without taking a massive hit on trade-in. I'll probably keep this one for bashing around town because it's so nimble at low speeds...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking of ... Harley should make a touring bike that reminds me of a fast sexy lady. And of course with a windshield that goes up and down. The V-Rod looks nice but looks more like a light-to-light dragster than a highway cruiser.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The 750 and 500 both use the same Transmission. And Gears. Its just a matter of Strain on the engine. Yes an Intake, Exhaust and Fuel Controller would help. But the problem is, Displacement. The smaller 500 can only push so much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone know difference in horsepower between the 500 and the 750?

Not sure about HorsePower but listed on Harley's website here is there stock Torque Values.

2016 Street 500 = 29.5 ft-lb

2016 Street 750 = 44.5 ft-lb

2016 Street Glide = 104.7 ft-lb

I included the street glide to show that our bikes are less than half the Torque of a full sized 103 cu. in. Harley motor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of curiosity what do you weigh? I'm 210 and 5'11 so a little big for this bike. I really need to get the taller seat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. I got a quote for $420 for the 1000 mile service. They must be smoking?!? I think they just thought of the first number that came to mind. I got a belt tension measuring tool for $25. And the workshop manual for $19.

With the money saved I ordered the fp3 and v&h air intake. I just want to be able to pass at 80 uphill and against the wind. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I paid $340 for my 1k & 5k service. and was just quoted the same for my 10k service. $ well spent IMO. And I'm not sure if its been the hot weather we've had or the conditions of the roads around here but I am also looking at a new rear tire as part of my 10K service so add an extra $280 for the rear tire installed. Worth the extra $ in my opinion to not have that worry about something mechanical going wrong and I'm no mechanic so I will let my Dealer take care of my services. Just a little piece of mind. I am about to take a road trip in April three days & two nights about 700 miles, for the Motorcyclists dream Highway, California State Highway 36, 140 miles of twisties and rolling hills......if you don't know it look it up, going to be a blast.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$340 would seem very proud of their work, but I may have bit just to not have to do it myself. $420 makes me think they really don't want to do it either.

There's some beautiful popular routes around here in Austin as well in the Hill Country. I bet California has some nice rides!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just drained the oil. 986 miles. Mine wasn't black like others have said. Still a golden color. I just went with the HD synthetic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
V&H intake and fp3 installed. Runs very nice and smooth. Only issue. Seems to have lost top end?

Could be the V&H map ? maybe. I know my bike tops out at 107mph (plus or minus) on a 750, I have come to this conclusion as I have tried pushing it as fast as it'll go and have hit this limit 4-5 times already. Although it does not sound like the motor is winding it's self completely out, like there is more to it, just gets kind of limited off.

maybe try using the Auto Tune feature on your FP3, see if that will make any sort of difference for you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts