Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am seeing the same thing. At 80 the engine isn't screaming but it refuses to go any faster. Sort of like if you are in fifth gear overdrive in car and drop to 4th to pass or go up a hill. But in this case I already know the engine would be really screaming in 5th. The fastest I have gone in 5th was 70 and I could tell it was harsh.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Somebody at work who lives nearby said they stopped taking the toll road after they added it up and spent $1500 on the year. I tried the alternate route mentioned and made it home 10 minutes faster. So this problem may have sorted itself out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your tune is off and try putting a wind screen on the front and or tuck in more I have a scream eagle air intake V&H Pro comp exhaust and a comp not the street turner form screaming eagle as well. It sounds like your hitting a lean point in your tune. I have no issue hitting 100 after stage one kit with two up ridding I can hold 75 easy going up hill in wind with bags. With just me in West VA going up 7% grade holding at 80 isn't and issue with bags but I take my wind screen off yes my body acts like a kite and I slow down fast also try a full face helmet sound dumb but the wind on the helmet also can play havoc with your speed. It's crazy what a little bit of bent plastic will do for breaking the wind around your body.

·
Registered
2015 HD STREET 500
13 Posts
I rode in again today. Same kind of deal. Easy going in the morning. I got up to 85 to pass without the bike struggling. On the way home (against the wind) I found the same kind of issue. Yes, believe it or not if it's posted 80 there are still people that want to go 60. I found there is a sweet spot in the throttle at about halfway where it will slowly climb from 70 to 80. With WOT it doesn't seem to want to speed up. I also found it was helpful to wait for a car to pass and get in behind them for a wind break. Downhill even with the wind there is no problem getting up to speed to pass. I do have a windshield arriving tomorrow. The wind (front cowl removed for aesthetics) is brutal at over 75. It's obviously pushing the bike to it's upper threshold of what it can do but I'm getting it to work.

I'm going to try the V&H computer and high flow intake. If anything I want the bluetooth feature so I can see what RPMs I'm running at. I would downshift at 70 but not sure what the RPMs would be like. May be a month or so but I'll update this thread with the results.
With the V&H FUEL PAK 3 you'll see a world of difference in performance. Harley has the 500 dogged down. You'll definitely want to put a full flow exhaust on it also.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts