Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2016 XG500 which while riding on a highway started stalling after reaching 80mph, had sudden power and then again stalled before stopping completely on the highway. Checked the fuse which looks good, I can hear the fuel pump sound but the motorcycle engine wont start while turning on the ignition.

video UrL as below

Try

· Registered
104 Posts
I bought a used 2016 XG500 which while riding on a highway started stalling after reaching 80mph, had sudden power and then again stalled before stopping completely on the highway. Checked the fuse which looks good, I can hear the fuel pump sound but the motorcycle engine wont start while turning on the ignition.

video UrL as below
Not sure if the spark plugs will be the issue…maybe you can check that
Try

· Registered
3 Posts

video UrL as below

Try
Check battery connections and any other grounds. I once pulled on the charge adapter and loosened the post nuts on the battery. My 750 wouldn't start until retightening the posts.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses. I called in a mechanic and this is what he found. The voltage regulator connection, light grey one, had oil inside it which dripped when he took out the connection. The spark tips were a bit oily as well. He cleaned up the voltage regulator and installed it again and now the issue seems to be with the spark plug which will give an intermittent spark. Also, the battery seems to be not charging that well so I bought Duracell 12V AGM 14L - BS battery.
Will be getting the spark plugs tomorrow.
Unsure why oil is in there on the spark plug
1) If some seal is cracked or something else.
2)Taking out the spark plug for testing and turning the start button will flush gas out from the socket of the spark plug, I think that is how it works for igniting the gas, and if sparks are not working fine it isn't igniting it and becomes oily. Can this be another reason?

The mechanic checked the stator and said it is fine.

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
931 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
I think you either have flooded the engine and gotten fuel into the crankcase oil or you have blown a head gasket. check the compression on the cylinders and see if they match. You should be able to find a comp tester for under 25 dollars. If the readings are very different then you have blown a head gasket. Otherwise change the oil and filter.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your responses and the time you spent on my query. I highly appreciate it.
I changed the spark plugs myself and the bike started. The mechanic I hired with 4.5 ratings on Google took away the Harley Battery (1-year-old) which he said is not good anymore, took it with him for additional testing, and told me he would bring it back the next day. He didn't show up for 4 days straight with my repeated request to fix the bike it was my only commute. I finally recovered it from his place, went to Autozone, and tested it. The battery was fine.
Changing the spark plug on the left side was a bit discomforting but in the end, all is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.