Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Street 750 Handlebar ?

67K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  kazman 
#1 ·
Anyone else find the street 750 handlebar too ... plain? :confused:
I want to change these to dragbar to give it a proper low-profile cafe-racer look, along with flipped bar-end mirrors ( ).

The tech guy at Bengal HD said the sportster dragbar (1" OD) will not fit the street 750 and the clutch cable as well as controls housing will require changing.
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the stock handlebar, perhaps from the manual?

Also I am kind of a newbie when it comes to DIY, so why would the cables need changing when the dragbar is supposed to be lower than the stock handlebar? The guy ain't too happy about trying to install the aftermarket mirrors either :(

#4 ·
Anyone else find the street 750 handlebar too ... plain? :confused:
I want to change these to dragbar to give it a proper low-profile cafe-racer look, along with flipped bar-end mirrors ( Amazon.com: Gear Gremlin GG301B Black Mini Bar End Mirror: Automotive ).

The tech guy at Bengal HD said the sportster dragbar (1" OD) will not fit the street 750 and the clutch cable as well as controls housing will require changing.
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the stock handlebar, perhaps from the manual?

Also I am kind of a newbie when it comes to DIY, so why would the cables need changing when the dragbar is supposed to be lower than the stock handlebar? The guy ain't too happy about trying to install the aftermarket mirrors either :(
The stock handlebar is supposed to be 7/8" according to a review I read.
I think that as long as the cables physically reach the new handlebar, there is no reason to require swapping them. But I have never changed a handlebar myself.

#7 ·
Black 7/8 drag bars are readily available from numerous companies/suppliers,
or even on Ebay. Ours will be here this afternoon.

Reactions: Sherri
#23 ·
ok...that has totally created new options in my mind :p Because when I picture this bar on the bike it could look better, as it does not rise, giving a lower and meaner look, but needs more "arm-reach", hence less comfortable than a drag-bar I guess. :confused:

So I am now also looking at a clubman bar - this one -
Shipping to India included it costs about 5k INR (85 USD). From EMGO product catalog it says - width: 27.5, drop 4.5, center 6.5.

The mirror -
There are other bar-end round mirrors as well from the same seller (Powersport Superstore).

Currently hunting for some bar-end signals :)
Something like - Bar end indicators + CRG bar end Mirrors - MVAgusta.net

#24 ·
I don't think a clubman bar is going to be too comfortable with the stock foot peg position. The handgrip position is even lower than that of a drag bar. Clubman bars almost demand rear set foot pegs. Maybe Rizoma will offer rearsets for the Street later on?

#26 ·
Well, your back and leg muscles would be well stretched. :D

I have used drag bars with forward controls on a Sportster, which is similar in size to the Street according to the specs. It was ok, but the Clubman bars do not look ergonomic at all. Looks like something off a drag bike.

#32 ·
I liked the stock handlebar from the Iron 883. Would be great if this can be fitted to the street 750. But the dealer was not quite sure if this could be done as he says all the wires need to be replaced.

Also the street's rear view mirrors are fitted directly to the brake/clutch lever assembly (they are not screwed directly into the handlebar) so that makes it almost impossible for me to get the mirrors inverted and i really like the inverted mirror styling. :D

#34 ·
Definitely! But i hear from the dealership that they do not have many options for the handlebar. Just the stock ones or the reduced reach bar.

The problem with the street is that, a stretched out, wider handle bar calls for lengthier wires which they do not have currently and the bar end mirrors is something that we can only dream of (as of now) as the dealer says there are no other options for the mirrors as well.

#36 · (Edited)
Naturally the dealer is going to push "Genuine Parts and Accessories" and minimize enthusiasm for after market parts. Harley isn't making money if their dealers are pushing stuff from, say, Flanders. I will say the dealers in the US all seem to have the Drag Specialties catalog on the parts counter and do a brisk business in their parts. I don't know if Drag Specialties has entered the Indian market the way Harley has. Harley doesn't support older Harleys like old Shovelheads and iron-barreled Sportsters the way Drag Specialties does, so maybe Harley sees the support of older Harleys by Drag Specialties as a way to keep customers who have both older and newer Harleys at the dealer parts counter. If they have to go elsewhere for their older bikes, they just might go elsewhere for the newer bikes too.

If the Street handlebar is indeed 7/8 inch then there are hundreds of choices available if you don't like the handlebar that the bike comes with. Finding a bar that suits you ought to be easy. Swapping bars is simple.

#37 ·
Hey guys. I recently got a pair of Renthal Ultra Low bars for my Street 500, but thing is they do not have the hole for the handlebar controls. Now I'm wondering if I can pull that little metal peg out with a pair of vice grips cause I really don't want to drill a hole. If I need to drill a hole will it effect strength?

Thank you!

#43 ·
I had an old set of Buell Blast bars that I use. Better height and pull back for comfortable up right riding position with the tall boy seat. I tried the taller XG bars but they didn't have the pull back and were only an inch taller. The Blast bars have much thinner walls (larger ID) so any bar end mirrors or turn signals will not tighten up unless you use some sort of shims. The bars are flexible as well due to the thin wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.