Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, quite enjoyed it when they showcased the streets Ice Racing back at the winter games!

Me too. Don't know if ESPN will televise the flat track race show, but there will certainly be a video of it afterwards.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds like a great way to show off the Street 750. Didn't really think of the Street 750 as a dirt rack bike, but I'd be interested to see how it performs.

Seems like Harley is really wanting to make in roads with dirt racing and dirt biking.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, looks are one thing but don't expect it to run with something like an XR750 or it's competition. It will be ok as an exhibition but that engine doesn't have the beans, even at 750 cc, to match the lap times of real flat trackers. Now, as an entry level form of racing for limited budgets, it might be kinda fun. Just remember how achingly slow those XR1200s were on a race track. If the bikes are too slow the whole thing might backfire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
well the street should be no issue but they are just trying to bring it beyond that. Getting involved in those events just goes to show what the Street 750/500 can do.
When I said street, I meant street 750 :). Street 750 seems to have DNA of XR750. With dual purpose tyres, bigger wheels and longer suspension,Street 750 should make a decent adventure tourer which is what I intend to make once I get mine. And kind of stuff Harley is doing with this bike further helps my case

·
Registered
544 Posts
The XR-750s DNA is from the Sportster. The original XR-750 was a de-stroked iron barreled Sportster that used magneto ignition. This ran much too hot in a racing situation and was replaced with an engine using aluminum heads and a more stable rocker assembly, but it was still a pushrod, roller bearing bottom end engine with four individual cams each on it's own gear, just like a Sportster, K series flathead and the earlier W series flatheads. The cam drive on Ws, Ks, Sportsters and XRs hasn't changed significantly since 1929. Keep in mind the Sportster started out as a flat head K with overhead valve heads. The same lifters that opened the valves of the K series flathead instead operated long pushrods to the rockers of the OHV Sportster, and the XR-750.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts