Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

soon i will be getting my street 750 & was curious to go for a long ride. something like 500+ kms . \

really would like to know fellow street owners exp with such long rides.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it for break it, I've taken it on the freeway after i modified the exhaust (so you can hear it over wind noise), and it really sounds like the bike has to work to maintain speeds over 65 MPH. Not to mention the wind beats you up bad without an actual windscreen. I did 20 minutes freeway and I was really tired (75MPH)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm still in the break-in period so I stay off the freeway. But for distance as opposed to speed, I took mine out for a couple hour drive in a urban area. The bike did great but my rear did not. I'm going to be replacing my seat very soon due to this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've spent several 250-300 mile days in the saddle, at freeway speeds up to 85 for 60 or so miles at a stretch. I've had no problem whatsoever. Probably by the later part of the runs I'm starting to feel it in that section between my lower back and upper legs (my butt). I'll be going on a 360 mile run from Denver to Moab in a few weeks for a weekend rally, and I'll be happy to report back then. Honestly though, you should have no problem. If people used to tour on CB500s and R65s, there's absolutely no reason you can't go as far as you want to on this one.

Ask me about the couple who rode from Oregon to NYC for the Motorcycle Film Festival last year. They did it on Honda Cubs. True story.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 500 will do 75-80 on the highway, no problem. It's bone stock. As far as feel goes that's going to be person to person. I've rode as long as about 3 hours so far, but my butt was sore. I'd prefer a better padded seat for longer rides.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I rode my bike 375 miles on Sunday and it was a lovely ride, I got my speed up to 85-90 and my bike was steady, I cant wait for my next long distance ride. My longest ride on is so far has been 500 miles but I split that over 2 days. the ride on Suday was a burn and turn solo ride.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I once* rode with my wife (at the time) 2-UP on a HONDA CX-500 Deluxe from Denver to Columbus (1300 mi one way). We did 2.5 days out and 2.5 days back. I don't recall any issues and it would seem that 1-UP @ 300-400 mi on a 750 Street would be a piece-of-cake. I plan on such a trip, later on, up to the Black Hills and will then get back with everybody on how it went. I don't fully understand Post # 2.

*Circa 1983

·
Registered
159 Posts
I once* rode with my wife (at the time) 2-UP on a HONDA CX-500 Deluxe from Denver to Columbus (1300 mi one way). We did 2.5 days out and 2.5 days back. I don't recall any issues and it would seem that 1-UP @ 300-400 mi on a 750 Street would be a piece-of-cake. I plan on such a trip, later on, up to the Black Hills and will then get back with everybody on how it went. I don't fully understand Post # 2.

*Circa 1983
I take post #2 to say freeway isn't recommended during break-in. The dealer told me to stay under 60mph for the first 500 miles. Here in LA, I'm fortunate to live in an area where taking the surface streets is faster than the freeway, especially in the morning during rush hour.

·
Registered
155 Posts
First weekend I had mine, I definitely hit 75+ during a long rally. The two schools of thought tend to be baby it or drive it like you stole it and get those rings seated. I'm more of a middle of the ground type, and as long as you're varying your RPM range up and down, you should be 100% fine. But for god's sake, don't redline it on a cold start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried long trips on Street 750 - up to 6 hours. On interstates, highways, side roads, combined. I cannot do it without having to stop every hour for a short break - my butt really starts to hurt. I added this: Airhawk Comfort Seat Cushion for Medium Cruiser. It does help a lot, though overpriced. But still... This IS a STREET bike. Not a cruiser. Just my experience.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Airhawk

@ majorra,

I added this: Airhawk Comfort Seat Cushion for Medium Cruiser.

Is that the name to order , was it difficult to attach and does it slip around?

Thanks,

JMB

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not noticed any problems running between 65 - 80 mph on the highway , however the stock seat will cause your A** to start hurting if you don't make a few stops on longer rides > 50 miles. I was wondering if anyone has the solo cafe' seat , and if so how does it work for longer rides is it more comfortable?
I like the way it looks and might try one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long as ride on a street

Hi,

I went from Fort Worth, Texas to Orange County, California over 3 days to go work for RidersShare (check out riders-share.com!). I rode through a cold front the first two days so I did not feel any pain in my butt (I sadly nearly lost feeling on my fingertips despite wearing winter gloves, and had to stop very often for warm coffee). The last day in Arizona-California was nicer, but in the middle of a drought I got rain . After a day of riding in non-freezing temperatures, my butt did hurt (standard seat).

The bike is super comfortable and easy to ride compared to the my previous bike, a ninja 650. i do wish it didnt take it so much effort to go at 70mph or above. I am upgrading the exhaust and reprogramming the engine, will let you know if that helps.

i wish you could drop a vrod engine on this guy; itd be the best of both worlds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts