Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, nice forum you've got here!

Quick question - there are folks out there who've adapted their Harleys with ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 diagnostic readers, to work with apps like HarleyDroid or RPMItUp. Basically it would give you all the engine data, tachometer, gear indicator, all that fun stuff...

You need to make (or buy) a 4-pin Deutsch to OBD2 cable (as discussed here and here).

My question is - will this work for the Street 750? Does the Street use the same communications protocol and 4-pin connector as the other bikes? I've heard that the FP3 uses a six-pin, so ... ? I assume that means the Street actually has a six-pin connector?

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Our XGs have the standard 6 pin Plug. But only 4 pins inside. I believe the 2 other pins are for the Radio/Nav unit. Possibly ABS. Have not heard about the unit(ELM327) you are referring to.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting - thanks for the confirmation, that certainly saved me from one mistake.

Haven't found any 6-pin to OBDII cables yet, and it seems like at least RPMItUp is saying it's not compatible with the CAN Bus bikes... and I think HarleyDroid isn't either. Wondering if this is actually a viable project. I mean, I know it can be done, the FP3 does it, I'm just wondering if any of the software apps out there support the CAN Bus bikes, and how to get a cable (bought or made, either way).

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI: We finally got some time with a new 2016 HD Breakout that uses the CAN BUS system. We got a dashboard that can display the speed and one that can display the RPM. That's probably going to be the limit of what we can do for a while because of the amount of data that is being processed. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSI8SsGoK9o

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, nice forum you've got here!

Quick question - there are folks out there who've adapted their Harleys with ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 diagnostic readers, to work with apps like HarleyDroid or RPMItUp. Basically it would give you all the engine data, tachometer, gear indicator, all that fun stuff...

You need to make (or buy) a 4-pin Deutsch to OBD2 cable (as discussed here and here).

My question is - will this work for the Street 750? Does the Street use the same communications protocol and 4-pin connector as the other bikes? I've heard that the FP3 uses a six-pin, so ... ? I assume that means the Street actually has a six-pin connector?

Thanks for any assistance!

Yes, the street 500/750 would need a 6 pin cable.
And here it is in action:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts