Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm new here, 29 year old male from Vancouver BC, spent the last 10 years riding sport bikes, this is my first Harley.

I've wanted to swap the tank on my street rod since the day I bought it. Had some free time over the last month so I made it happen. I wanted to share how it turned out because I saw a few threads in regards to swapping the tank that ended un concluded.

Cheers, thanks for looking! If anyone else is considering this I'd be happy to explain my process.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes it does give it a different look - in a good way though. What is the difference in tank capacity between the two tanks?

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
363 Posts
Nice clean look. Did you half to make any changes to fuel lines or mounting points?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice clean look. Did you half to make any changes to fuel lines or mounting points?
Hey Lesblank, Thanks!

Fuel Line - Shortened a couple of inches.

Fuel Pump Low Voltage Lines - Re pinned and changed connector.

Base Tank Mounting - I used the original mounting point at the base of the tank that screws right into the frame and just tucks under the seat.

Top Tank Mounting - I decided to bolt through the frame because the 48 tank has the necessary mounting tabs to make this simple and I felt like this gave it the cleanest look.

However, In order to get the tank to sit this low I had to notch a chunk of out my frame (roughly 0.5" x 4", don't worry, I braced accordingly), the fuel pump placement in the tank does not allow the tank to fully saddle the frame as is so this was necessary for the look I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
590 Posts
Your bike looks great with that tank! I never really understood the attraction of the peanut tanks on the Sportsters, but now that I see the pictures of your bike I get it.

Since my Street 750 is more of a baby bagger I've been tempted to try swapping the tank with the 4.5 gallon (17.0 liter) one from a Sportster 1200 Custom, but if I ever get around to doing the scrambler build I've been planning I think you've got the right idea.

·
Registered
Street Rod 750 XG750A
4 Posts
Wow I love the look of the narrower taller tank. Not sure I would be keen to drop down to 8L though...... I imagine the HD tanks area stupid expensive though. I wonder if there would be non OEM options with a larger capacity.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
590 Posts
Any Sportster tank from 2007 onward will fit in a similar matter as @Jangofett05 had with a Sportster Forty-Eight tank. They will all be for fuel injected engines with the same mounting points. Since H-D manufactures huge numbers of Sportsters there is a lot of aftermarket support for custom parts, including fuel tanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I love the look of the narrower taller tank. Not sure I would be keen to drop down to 8L though...... I imagine the HD tanks area stupid expensive though. I wonder if there would be non OEM options with a larger capacity.
Hey ScubaSteve,

@PugslyCat is correct in regards to the years of the sportsters that will fit. Just know that the fit was not a seamless swap as I had to weld new mounting points onto my frame, and chop some of the 48 tank brackets to achieve this look. If you directly use the mounting points provided with no modification the tank sits quite a bit higher, in my opinion it gave the tank a weird floating look.

You can definitely find non Harley tanks at a lower cost but I chose to go Harley to keep the look and also facilitate the functionality. I know the fuel pumps on the 48 are very similar is spec to the street rods to there will be no issues mechanically or electronically. It was important to me that the new fuel pump supports a low fuel gauge lol

I agree with you, the 8L spec is the only downside but any sportster other than the 48 will have a greater capacity.

Happy to answer any questions or provide any images if requested!

·
Registered
Street Rod 750 XG750A
4 Posts
Hey @Jangofett05 thanks for the details. Makes sense why you went the route you did and I get what you saying about the floating tank, wouldn't want that either. I'm not gona be doing any tank swaps any time soon but I will defs come have a look here again should I get to doing it.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts