Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,
For anyone that isn't confident in making their own tool to undo those square bolts on the ends of the street rod bars, I used an 8mm sump plug socket, made for vw's, volvos and other european cars. I picked it up from a specialty auto parts store. 9mm would be a perfect size but 8mm works and is more commonplace. Easy to undo, swap the mirror stems to the opposite bar mounts, and tighten back up in the underhung position. As noted in previous comments though, look out for a spring, locking pin and plastic washer when removing and installing the mirror stems.
Thanks for the info! I managed to get a hold of an 8mm sump plug socket and successfully removed both mirrors. However the RH mirror stem which goes in to the bar has a wider ridge on the fitment which means it will not enter far enough in to the LH bar. Did you come across this issue? I will try and add some pics later.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! I managed to get a hold of an 8mm sump plug socket and successfully removed both mirrors. However the RH mirror stem which goes in to the bar has a wider ridge on the fitment which means it will not enter far enough in to the LH bar. Did you come across this issue? I will try and add some pics later.
Thanks
Hi mate, are you referring to the whole mirror assembly? The left and right side mirrors do have different length internal bar mounts, so when you swap the whole assemblys from one side to the other, one side sticks out too far and the other doesn't grab very well when tightened. That's why i started looking into removing the mirror stem from the internal bar mount originally. The mirror stems themselves once removed from the internal bar mounts are mirror image, so sit flush with the bar mount once fitted to the opposite side. This is on a 2018 street rod btw, assuming other model years would be the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi mate, are you referring to the whole mirror assembly? The left and right side mirrors do have different length internal bar mounts, so when you swap the whole assemblys from one side to the other, one side sticks out too far and the other doesn't grab very well when tightened. That's why i started looking into removing the mirror stem from the internal bar mount originally. The mirror stems themselves once removed from the internal bar mounts are mirror image, so sit flush with the bar mount once fitted to the opposite side. This is on a 2018 street rod btw, assuming other model years would be the same.
Hi mate, thanks for coming back to me. Yes, this is exactly the issue. So the internal bar mount has differing lengths as you have mentioned. So with regards to removing the external stem from the internal mount, is this achieved by releasing them with the square socket? I was reluctant to do this as some have mentioned the spring mechanism that cannot be turned more then 3 full turns. Or am I okay to fully release this part? Any advice would be great, I want to try and avoid ending up with no mirrors at all and an expensive trip to my HD dealer! Mine is a 2020 model so yes I would assume the same :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi mate, thanks for coming back to me. Yes, this is exactly the issue. So the internal bar mount has differing lengths as you have mentioned. So with regards to removing the external stem from the internal mount, is this achieved by releasing them with the square socket? I was reluctant to do this as some have mentioned the spring mechanism that cannot be turned more then 3 full turns. Or am I okay to fully release this part? Any advice would be great, I want to try and avoid ending up with no mirrors at all and an expensive trip to my HD dealer! Mine is a 2020 model so yes I would assume the same :)
Managed to sort by completely unscrewing the external stem with the 8mm square socket and swapping the mirrors. Looks great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes the the internal bar mount and external mirror stem are connected by the square bolt. When you separate the two parts, your looking for a plastic washer, a small spring and a small cap that sits on top of the spring. If you're careful, these parts aren't hard to keep track of, especially when you're expecting them to be there. I think the advisory not to loosen more than 3 turns relates to the hex head bolt the tightens the whole assembly within the bars.

I would agree though, you don't want to mess around with it if its going to prove costly. I'd already decided that the standard mirrors above the bars didn't work for me and that I'd get an aftermarket set of inverted mirrors of I couldn't get this to work, so there wasn't much to lose in my case. I've been pleased with the result though. Good luck!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts