Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Street Rod 750 (XG750A) How to invert mirrors ?

18K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Jfindlay 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
The allen bolt threads into the internal expander which consists of a few pieces but the assembly should stay together by just loosening the bolt and pulling the assembly out of the bar. Mind you, I have never done this myself on the SR but I have installed bar end mirrors on other scoots.

#5 ·
The flat bars that came on my Street Rod have notches in them, allowing the mirrors to be installed one way, only. I learned this when I replaced the stock bars with stock bars from the Street I had previously. Instead of grinding notches in the bars, I bought new, "universal" mirrors, which I like better than the stock mirrors, anyway.

#7 ·
I know that it has been 3 years since the last post in this thread, but I am reusing it anyway. I was going to change sides for the mirrors, I want them below the bars, but the right hand side mirror couldn´t come off. The allenkey couldn´t grip the screw (if you know that I mean), had no problem with the one on the left side. Anyone have any suggestions what I should do?

#13 ·
Hi all, a bit late to the party but for anyone that is maybe still interested the mirrors on the XG750-A can be inverted by using a square spanner, ie similar to a ratchet without a socket, to remove the mirrors themselves. Just be careful there's a small spring and a little locking pin between the mirror and the insert piece. Then put the mirrors across the to opposite bar end inserts. Unfortunately the inserts themselves are different lengths so its not as simple as just removing with an allen key and swapping. Unfortunately mine are turned up a fair amount still and not all the way down because then I can't even see the mirrors through my arms.

Attachments

#20 ·
Hi guys,
For anyone that isn't confident in making their own tool to undo those square bolts on the ends of the street rod bars, I used an 8mm sump plug socket, made for vw's, volvos and other european cars. I picked it up from a specialty auto parts store. 9mm would be a perfect size but 8mm works and is more commonplace. Easy to undo, swap the mirror stems to the opposite bar mounts, and tighten back up in the underhung position. As noted in previous comments though, look out for a spring, locking pin and plastic washer when removing and installing the mirror stems.

#21 ·
Thanks for the info! I managed to get a hold of an 8mm sump plug socket and successfully removed both mirrors. However the RH mirror stem which goes in to the bar has a wider ridge on the fitment which means it will not enter far enough in to the LH bar. Did you come across this issue? I will try and add some pics later.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.