Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man am I feeling "over" this bike, every single thing I have tried to do has gone wrong in some way, shape, or form, and I am not talking about major upgrades or modifications, minor things.

I have not been able to do ONE single thing on this bike without it breaking or causing some sort of headache with another part.

The reason for this post is because today, I was trying to install white LED bulbs in the front, found the notch on the bottom of the housing, and tried EVERY possible way to open it (flathead, quarter, smaller flatheads) until it finally cracked the whole **** thing, breaking the housing and lens cover with it.

To remove the housing, you have to remove the headlight, no big deal, except for the AWESOME DESIGN of a flat washer that no socket to wrench can grip to take off the turn signal bracket.

I am so close to ripping the whole thing off 馃槥馃槥馃槥 and trading this thing in. sigh rant over...

Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
I don't know about your headlight but on my 2017 Street Rod there's 2 phillips heads screws holding it in. My led headlight swap was fairly simple compared to the Ninja's I've owned, hardest part was the clips holding the light into the bezel. Also I believe the turn signals are already LED so there shouldn't be a reason to swap them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the headlight it's the turn signal brackets, stupid little washer bolt-like design, Allen key on the back. Have to take the headlight off forks to get to that little washer bolt thing. I just got them off but that is after completely demolishing one by just trying to take the lens off.

Like I said nothing major, just would like one little thing to go right lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and upon inspecting the housing that's broken the lens cover seems almost glued or sealed on. This definitely doesn't look like it just "pops" off with a screwdriver or quarter. Picture attached for reference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to swap the orange lens, not the actual bulb, but even so, how would I swap out to a "ring" style LED light/bulb?

Registered
I checked the Harley Davidson parts manual for the Street Rod front & rear turn signal assemblies. Neither of them list separate replacement part numbers for lenses or bulbs, just complete turn signal assemblies. The regular Street 750 & 500 bikes show replacement parts for housings, bulbs and lenses. The turn signals on the Street 500 and 750 use incandescent bulbs and as Sarge2481 mentioned previously the Street Rod uses LED bulbs from factory already. I looked in my 2017 Street Rod owners manual and it also shows the LED turn signals as being replaced as assemblies only. I guess those fancy lenses you got will only work on the Street 500 & 750 signal lights.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I was looking through Ronnies catalog as well and saw that. I am just dumbfounded how changing or modding simple things on this bike is a MAJOR PIA or no support for at all.

Thanks for your time and research, and I will post if I am able to figure anything out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would it be possible to buy the light from an XG500/750 and the plug for the 2017+ model and rewire? They are both 3 wire lights, just the connector for the incandescent style looks a little different.

Just thinking out loud here.

Registered
and upon inspecting the housing that's broken the lens cover seems almost glued or sealed on. This definitely doesn't look like it just "pops" off with a screwdriver or quarter. Picture attached for reference.

View attachment 27758 View attachment 27759 View attachment 27760 View attachment 27761
turn signals on street rod are sealed LED units. Bulbs cannot be replaced - need to replace entire unit. BTW, I did this to install rear fender replacement . Had to enlarge hole to get wire out. The connector doesn't fit through hole. There is a youtube video on fender replacement that shows this. Also, the replacement came with just the wire without the connector. Had to order connector from electrical supply company. Good luck.
mike

Registered
Hey, just wanted to chime in on this. You can put whatever lights you want on the bike. I put LEDs on my 95 softail and had no problems. Just had to get LED flashers, but it sounds like you have the newer HD and other LEDs will not be a problem putting on. Just make sure the hole is the same size, unless you don鈥檛 mind making it bigger, just don鈥檛 go smaller. Hope this helps. Also, if you need help with anything, I can do my best with whatever it is. I鈥檓 a DIY guy my self and have done a lot of mods to my bike.

Registered
Man am I feeling "over" this bike, every single thing I have tried to do has gone wrong in some way, shape, or form, and I am not talking about major upgrades or modifications, minor things.

I have not been able to do ONE single thing on this bike without it breaking or causing some sort of headache with another part.

The reason for this post is because today, I was trying to install white LED bulbs in the front, found the notch on the bottom of the housing, and tried EVERY possible way to open it (flathead, quarter, smaller flatheads) until it finally cracked the whole **** thing, breaking the housing and lens cover with it.

To remove the housing, you have to remove the headlight, no big deal, except for the AWESOME DESIGN of a flat washer that no socket to wrench can grip to take off the turn signal bracket.

I am so close to ripping the whole thing off 馃槥馃槥馃槥 and trading this thing in. sigh rant over...
Man, that鈥檚 crazy. When I put the LED signals on my 2018, the covers popped right out with a small flat tip screw.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, that鈥檚 crazy. When I put the LED signals on my 2018, the covers popped right out with a small flat tip screw.
Lol I wish, I just ordered OEM turn signal and am gunna stick with it. :cautious::cautious:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts