Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have had my Street Rod for about 4 months and about 1100 miles.. After my last 100 mile trip, I started noticing a constant nagging hip pain and lately lower back strain as well.

It is as if the more I ride, the more prevalent it becomes.

I am considering trading in the Rod as I just cannot see myself doing any "long" trips on the Rod.

The one option is to trade in to a used 883 with low mileage and loads of add-ons.
I did test ride it and comfort wise (seating position) it does feel a lot better.

Would would you guys say? Any experience long term with the 883?

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
A lot of guys have mentioned back and hip pain from riding the Street Rod. If you are over 5'9" these bikes seem to be uncomfortable, and the Street Rod more so than the Street 500/750. I suspect the Streets would be plenty comfortable for slightly taller riders if forward controls were added, but that riding position seems out of character for the Street Rod. Maybe highway pegs or whisker bars would help.

After two years riding a Street 750 I picked up a Sportster 1200 Custom which I've put 4K miles on since the fall of 2018. I'm a 6' fat guy, and while the mid controls of some Sportsters I test rode was an improvement over the Streets, I didn't think it was enough of an improvement for me to be comfortable on longer rides. YMMV.

Unless the "loads of add-ons" includes at least free flowing intake and exhaust, you may find the performance of the 883 to be a let down from the Street Rod. A stock Street Rod should smoke a stock 883 Sportster from 0-60 and may have a higher top end as well. That being said, you have more performance tuning options available for the Evo motor than for the Revolution/X.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input! I am actually a short guy and have the hip issues... The offers from HD has since upgraded to a 1200 custom or the iron 1200. What would you say about those? The iron has slip ons added.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You are going to have to sit on both bikes, and if possible get a test ride, to determine what is comfortable for you. All I can tell you is that I've got a 30 inch inseam and found the Street Rod unbearable. On the Street 750, the tall boy seat helps to slightly relax the rider triangle. At the end of a 300 mile ride I'm pretty stiff, although I did a dozen or so 200 mile days each of the last three years and came out of them OK.

I suppose the best of both worlds for seating position would be mid-controls and highway pegs. That's assuming you can comfortably and quickly get your feet to the controls when you need to brake or shift. I couldn't do that on the Street Rod.

In addition to whether forwards or mids are going to be comfortable, you have to be honest about how you plan to use the bike.
  • Are you and the buddies going to tear up the local twisties? You will probably prefer the mid-controls and reduced weight of the Iron. The limited range of the smaller fuel tank might not be an issue.
  • Are you into long rides? The forward controls of the 1200 Custom will let you spread out a bit, and the larger fuel tank will let you spend an extra hour or so riding between fuel stops.
  • Are you into the chrome of the 1200 Custom or the blacked out look of the Iron? I'm a chrome guy, but never saw the point of putting chrome accessories on the otherwise blacked out Street 750.
  • Is carrying a passenger important? Changing the Iron to a two-up seat will cost you a pretty penny, as would changing the 1200C to a single seat in order to accommodate a tour pack.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The slip on exhaust figures into it if your plan is to do a full stage one upgrade with intake and tuner. Without the other two parts, the slip ons are just noise, which may or may not be important to you.

My used 1200C came with SE slip on exhaust, which would have otherwise been the expensive part of the upgrade. That made it a no brainer to go with a Fuel Pack 3 and K&N free flowing air filter to complete a cheap stage one. Similar changes seemed to make a much bigger difference on the Street 750 than they did on the Sportster, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are going to have to sit on both bikes, and if possible get a test ride, to determine what is comfortable for you. All I can tell you is that I've got a 30 inch inseam and found the Street Rod unbearable. On the Street 750, the tall boy seat helps to slightly relax the rider triangle. At the end of a 300 mile ride I'm pretty stiff, although I did a dozen or so 200 mile days each of the last three years and came out of them OK.

I suppose the best of both worlds for seating position would be mid-controls and highway pegs. That's assuming you can comfortably and quickly get your feet to the controls when you need to brake or shift. I couldn't do that on the Street Rod.

In addition to whether forwards or mids are going to be comfortable, you have to be honest about how you plan to use the bike.
  • Are you and the buddies going to tear up the local twisties? You will probably prefer the mid-controls and reduced weight of the Iron. The limited range of the smaller fuel tank might not be an issue.
  • Are you into long rides? The forward controls of the 1200 Custom will let you spread out a bit, and the larger fuel tank will let you spend an extra hour or so riding between fuel stops.
  • Are you into the chrome of the 1200 Custom or the blacked out look of the Iron? I'm a chrome guy, but never saw the point of putting chrome accessories on the otherwise blacked out Street 750.
  • Is carrying a passenger important? Changing the Iron to a two-up seat will cost you a pretty penny, as would changing the 1200C to a single seat in order to accommodate a tour pack.
Thank you Paul for the comment and advice... I do prefer the look of the Iron and I am not into chrome all that much. When it comes to the fuel tank of the custom, that is a nice bonus for any trips that are a bit longer. The longest ride between 2 towns here is about 144 miles. All other towns are closer to each other.. I don't care too much for the exhaust at the moment as I actually think the Evo engine sounds quite good, even with stock exhausts.

I will be able to get a 2 up seat for free (sportster one), it just needs some tlc and get re upholstered.

I wish I could sort out the street rod ergonomics... but I am probably not the only one letting these bikes go for mainly that single reason. Comfort is a big thing.
P.S my inseam is just over 29 inches. Kills my right hip!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts