Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is some info I found about the street rod:

"The changes are thorough. The frame and fuel tank are the only shared parts and even the tank is significantly repositioned. “It’s like a Street, but starting from the front it’s got a new tire, wheel, brake, fork, fender, triple clamp, headlight, fairing, etc., etc., etc.,” quipped engineer Brian Dondlinger.
The chassis changes move this Street from cruiser territory into the sporty zone. Rake is steepened to 27 degrees from a more relaxed 32. Longer travel suspension raises ride height to increase cornering clearance (10 degrees more in both directions) and allow room to run the cast-aluminum 17-inch wheels front and rear. A longer swingarm (again to accommodate the larger wheel) runs a pair of gas-charged, piggyback-reservoir shocks that allow for 4.6 inches of travel. The 43mm black-anodized inverted fork has a similar travel increase and contributes to the much beefier front end look. A pair of 300mm front discs increase braking power vs. the single disc on the Street."
“We moved the tank farther forward and the rider sits farther forward to bias center of gravity forward to improve handling,” added Dondlinger.
“Following chassis, we focused on the powertrain,” said Dondlinger of the new High Output Revolution X 750 engine. “We’ve got 8 percent more torque across the rev range. Cruise on this bike around 3,600-3,700 rpm and at 8 percent more torque than street starts at 3,500 and goes all the way to 7,500 rpm so you really feel the torque in the midrange where you’d like it.”
Redline is increased from 8,000 rpm to 9,000, with an attendant 18 percent power boost on the top end. Claimed output is 68.4 horsepower at 8,750 rpm and 47.2 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm."

So, to me, it looks like Harley built a street model this time without putting the cheapest parts they could source like they did on the XG models. The street rod looks eh.. Okay in my opinion. The rear fender is even more hideous than what is stock on the XG models if that is even possible lol. I do like that they put a speed screen that looks like it will do a decent job at deflecting wind instead of being there for looks. Honestly dudes it looks like Harley looked at what most people changed about their XG's (ex: drag bars, bar end mirrors, new seat) and made it stock on the street rod. Pretty slick looking bike I guess, but i'll be sticking with my 'ole trusty XG750. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking forward to the expansion of the Street line since I think the more of them they make the more custom parts will get made for this bike. This new Street isn't for me, but I like it all the same and hope HD is able to make more inroads into a new group of riders.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looks like there's a new model 750 out

https://m.harley-davidson.com/#bikes/xg750a
Looks like they swapped for a bore kit or bored the cylinders possibly and raised the compression ratio for the bottom end... The top end might be the same... Of course, Harley Davidson always changing it up.. I wanna know if the dual front brakes can be swapped over to ours...

·
Registered
231 Posts
And added as bigger throttle body and 2 injectors... I wonder about the pump and regulator now....

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I am going to test drive one

Seems strange to reuse a name the already used

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I'll have to demo one as well. Pretty funny that it's more or less a production model of the mods that most of us have done here in some way shape or form. Looks like some of the styling cues were also from the custom white 750 of the 3 original concept xg's made by the Harley designers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Seems strange to reuse a name the already used
I'm confused ...........................How is the name already in use????

It's the "V Rod", and the "Street"...................They're 2 different Models. They're adding the "Street Rod" as a new name.

Reactions: bbally

·
Premium Member
485 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
The intake looks amazing. Different throttle body though so not likely to cross over
I don't think anything will cross over. The quote from the article is "The frame and fuel tank are the only shared parts and even the tank is significantly repositioned."

·
Registered
80 Posts
As soon as I can buy a Fender/Solo seat in that style I will, will do some frame chopping on my 2015. Unless of course the dealership is willing to give me a **** of a trade in deal for one of these.

The street rod is so close to the bike I'm working to turn my XG into

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you take off the rear plastic portion where the license plate and turn signals are... the street rod would have a very sleek look. I would anticipate NRC to come out with a fender eliminator pretty quickly for this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Reactions: aussie biker

·
Registered
335 Posts
The VRSCR is the "V Rod"
As the article said, it was an offshoot of the V-Rod, called the Street Rod. The first V-Rod was the VRSCA, followed by the B etc. This is the "R", so it's not in that consecutive lineup.

The VRSCR was only available for two model years, 2006 and 2007. A description from Chuck Hawks' site makes the VRSCR "Street Rod" sound a lot like the changes made for the XG750 "Street Rod":
New triple clamps pulled the forks in a few degrees, reduced trail and that fork was an inverted cartridge design with more spring rate, damping and travel. Out back, the shocks were longer and had both the usual preload as well as rebound damping adjustment.
The heavy disc wheels were binned, in favor of neat and much lighter cast spoke wheels. The change eliminated side wind sensitivity and made the suspension work much better due to less unsprung weight. If I recall correctly, the engine developed five more bhp and was good for about 107 rear wheel horsepower. The handlebars were still mounted on dogleg risers, but the bar itself was narrower and lower than the stock V-Rod item.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.