Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Street Rod was purchased used, and the previous owner took off the heat shield, not sure why, because it’s crazy hot and already singed my riding overpants…but I can only find XG750 Street heat shields, not XG750a Street Rod…does anyone know if they are interchangeable?

Looking at these
eBay 750 Heat Shield

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Yes and no, the front heat shield between the XG750 and XG750A have the same part number, however the rear shield between the 2 bikes have different part numbers. OEM part numbers for the exhaust pipe shields are HD-65400103 (#21 in pic) for the front shield, and HD-65400287 (#24 in pic) for the rear shield. If buying new from the dealer you will also need 5 clamps and their part number is HD-65900006 (#31 in pic). All of those parts come out to about $110 plus tax and shipping from New Castle Harley Davidson's online store.

If you are also missing the exhaust shield that covers the catalytic converter, then you will need to order the following parts as well:
1x HD-65400397 (heat shield #25 in pic)
1x HD-50500966 (heel pad #17 in pic)
2x HD-4858M (screws for heel pad on top of heat shield #2 in pic)
2x HD-65900005 (exhaust clamps #30 in pic)

Buying all of these parts new online from New Castle Harley Davidson will cost around $60 plus tax and shipping. You can check with your local dealer but chances are they will have to order the parts in anyways, so I like to use New Castle's site as it cuts out the middle man and cuts down shipping time.

Could the XG750 rear shield fit on the XG750A? After looking at the parts diagram and part numbers, the exhaust pipe itself is the same between the XG750 and XG750A, so I would say there's a decent chance they are interchangeable, but haven't tested it myself. I look at it as there's less than a $50 difference between a maybe on some used shields or a sure fit on some new ones.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering where this heat shield came from, it looks like the Buckshot Heat Shield from Harley but the HD website shows it on a street 500 and states it fits XG models, not XG750a...that's a little misleading. There's a review of a Street Rod owner saying they installed it on their SR

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Reading that post and looking at the footpeg setup, I think the reason the rear heatshield is different is because one is shorter than the other due to the difference in design of the foot peg for the brake, the headshield for the catalytic converter, or both. The ebay posting you showed probably is the buckshot heat shield, and I'm guessing will not fit right on the street rod, as the rear shield will either be too short or too long by the footpeg, judging by the picture in that post I would guess a bit too short.

Could the buckshot fit on the street rod? I would say probably yes, albeit not perfectly, might have a gap between it and the catalytic converter shield.

IMO after seeing that picture of the street rod with the buckshot, I'm not really a fan of how it looks. I think the stock shields give it a cleaner look but thats just me.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO after seeing that picture of the street rod with the buckshot, I'm not really a fan of how it looks. I think the stock shields give it a cleaner look but thats just me.
Same, sadly. I don’t wanna fork out the cash to get the stock/OEM heat shield, but wrapping the headers and this just don’t look as good

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
You can always give those part numbers to your local dealer and see how much it would cost to get it through them. The front and rear shields with 5 clamps would cost me about $125 shipped through New Castle Harley-Davidson . Dealer might be a bit cheaper if they don't charge you for shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Street Rod was purchased used, and the previous owner took off the heat shield, not sure why, because it’s crazy hot and already singed my riding overpants…but I can only find XG750 Street heat shields, not XG750a Street Rod…does anyone know if they are interchangeable?

Looking at these
eBay 750 Heat Shield
Get yourself an underseat leather heat shield. I have one from captain-itch. I works a charm to keep heat off of thigh. However, it is a bitch to install. I had to enlarge the hole at the front of it to get the saddle seated. There are other makes -google it. Stay cool.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Get yourself an underseat leather heat shield. I have one from captain-itch. I works a charm to keep heat off of thigh. However, it is a bitch to install. I had to enlarge the hole at the front of it to get the saddle seated. There are other makes -google it. Stay cool.
I think his issue is less to do with feeling the heat and more to do with his pants about to catch on fire because there's no shield.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
614 Posts
Reading that post and looking at the foot peg setup, I think the reason the rear heatshield is different is because one is shorter than the other due to the difference in design of the foot peg for the brake, the headshield for the catalytic converter, or both.
It may be as simple as the rear heat shield on the Street Rod has a hole to attach that rubber heel rest and the Street 750 doesn't. I'll try to remember to measure the length of that piece on my Street 750 and if somebody could do the same with a Street rod we can compare the values. If they match, or are at least close, the heat shields should be interchangeable.

I have thought about getting one of those leather heat shields more as a styling exercise than for any other reason, but then we get past the warmest days of summer and I move on from that idea.

@Sarge2481 is correct, though. @Hahn is missing the tin heat shields that cover the exhaust after it comes out from the cover of the leather flap suggested by @mikeh. It's bad getting your leg against the pipe with the tin heat shield. I did that once when I was wearing shorts and put the bike away after my nephew had ridden it. I'd hate to ride without it.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts

Total length of the mid shield is about 12 3/4 inches, I think the difference may be how the mid shield is cut out to accommodate the brake pedal assembly as well as mount the heel pad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts